How do I work out my internet speed?

geek84 09:20 21 May 14

Good Morning Folks

How do I work out my internet speed?

At present, my provider (Virgin Media) states that I get a speed of 60mb per second. Is that good?

I only use the internet for browsing web pages and never download music. The only downloads that I do are some documents that are attached to emails sent to me by colleagues/friends.

If I downgrade to a lesser speed, would it make much difference?

Thanks

wiz-king 10:30 21 May 14

There are plenty of speed checkers about. No, but if you stream TV programs you may have problems.

BRYNIT 11:55 21 May 14

Up to 50MB is the slowest speed Virgin Media offers these days if yo are on a higher speed you may save a few pound down grading to this.

BT 17:46 21 May 14

I'm on VM 60mb but rarely get that.

The Speedtest site will give wildly varying speeds depending on the server it selects automatically. I get anything between 19 and 52 depending on the server. I live in Norwich and the Norwich server is usually slow, whereas the Basildon server is much faster although much further away.

john bunyan 18:38 21 May 14

I only have a "up to 8 mbps" connection and find it perfectly adequate - I do not download films nor play online games. I am interested , for amateur use, what these super speeds are needed for. I use Speedtest.net

wiz-king 18:54 21 May 14

john bunyan The only advantage of higher speed is if you want to play online games or watch video/tv without the circle of buffering.(or waiting for PCA to load the adverts)

john bunyan 19:56 21 May 14

wiz-king

Thanks for the explanation. I only watch catch up TV on s LG smart TV in a room remote from the router. For ages I tried to get it going using the built in wireless connection and got a 0.8 mbps download - hopeless amount of buffering. In the same spot in that room my iPad gets over 8mbps. Recently bought a pair of Homeplugs - job done - get over 8mbps with no buffering. I suspect that I Player etc work ok at about 3mbps or better.

Number six 22:59 21 May 14

If you are using only one device requiring internet connection, there is little point in going much over 20 - 30 Mb. You will notice little or no speed gains. If all you do is a little general browsing, 10Mb is probably sufficient.

These super-fast speeds of 60Mb upwards are really intended for households which need video-streaming capabilities and multi-user connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now