How do I wake up a hibernating laptop?

Have tried a saucer of milk and bacon rind...
No, seriously I have a Dell 9300, and the handbook is quite poor, it says to press "Escape" to change power management mode (or words to that effect) but the only way that I can wake it after hibernation is to press the power button. Although this works, on start up it says,"Resuming windows" and offers a trouble shooting and safe mode, which suggests to me that I'm not following the right procedure.Any help would be appreciated-thanks!

CMC 42 18:31 23 Oct 05

Hibernation is by definition - saving the desktop as its current state and the shutting down the computer.

The resuming windows always appears on my Acer laptop.

" and offers a trouble shooting and safe mode"

Now this I don't know about - you are quite right to power the PC back up after hibernation using the power button as its the only way to do so.
The only difference between shut down and hibernate is that your desktop is saved as it is so it doesn't take as long to load up.

The only thing I can think of is that there's a background task or program that doesn't like being left on when putting the laptop into hibernate.

Stuartli 19:35 23 Oct 05

You are, as CMC 42 points out, using the correct method to start up your system.

Might be worth reinstalling the Hibernation mode.

Stuartli 19:35 23 Oct 05

Probably better to refer to it as reconfigure Hibernation mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:43 23 Oct 05

" and offers a trouble shooting and safe mode"

some faults can put a PC into hibination that is why windows is giving you this option, just ignor it and carry on.

The BB 19:50 23 Oct 05

as Fruit Bat says, the additional options are there in case you didn't mean to hibernate; just use the power button.

Thanks all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac