how do I view email address without opening

david.h 15:43 15 Jul 04

I am using office xp. is there a way to configure it so I can see the email address of a email in my inbox before I open it.
I keep getting email with headings from places i am expecting only to find its junk mail with a misleading heading. I do not want to use the preview pane as i know this could offload any hidden virus applications.
any offers of help please.

Lionheart ? 15:53 15 Jul 04

You could try Mailwasher click here or eprompter click here

david.h 16:05 15 Jul 04

will mailwasher work with norton anti virus 2003 as i use this to scan in and outgoing emails?

david.h 16:10 15 Jul 04

also forgot to mention spybot + adaware will these delete any anything on mailwasher as they tend to clash with some of the free download programs? also forgot to mention thankyou for the links you posted

Lionheart ? 16:12 15 Jul 04

Sorry cannot help with Norton anti virus 2003 as I don't use that, hopfully someone may come along with the answer.

Lionheart ? 16:16 15 Jul 04

Mailwasher lets you see what e-mails you have on your server before downloading them, any iffy ones you can delete, then use your e-mail client to retreive the ones you want..

Lionheart ? 16:18 15 Jul 04

Also eprompter does the same.

Stuartli 16:23 15 Jul 04

As you already, and sensibly, have the Preview Pane disabled, just right click on an e-mail, select Properties and then the Details tab.

This will reproduce the header information etc; clicking on Message Source will let you read the message as well.

If there is any doubt about the authenticity, Cancel back to the highlighted e-mail listing and use the Toolbar's Delete button to get rid of it.

recap 16:36 15 Jul 04

Right Click the e-mail, select Properties/Details (tab)/Message Source (button). That is to read the full message. If you just want to look at the return address it is displayed at the top of the Details Tab.

david.h 16:48 15 Jul 04

thank you for the above, since put up this question i am now getting junk mail headed with email protection etc.
i have norton firewall 2003 so i hope my pc is protected, can anyone get my email add from this forum and tareget me

Stuartli 17:07 15 Jul 04

You are right - in fact you've merely (well apart from one vital point) repeated my posting.

However, you failed to make it absolutely clear to only do this if the Preview Pane is DISABLED.

That is the whole crux of the matter. If anyone does as you say with the Preview pane enabled, then any infected e-mail could well be set in action.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…