How do I use system recovery cds?

cdb 20:52 12 Dec 04

I'm having a look at my friends laptop and I'm coming to the stage where this is the last option. I put the cd in for boot up but nothing happend, windows started normally. I tried running them from his account, but there seems to be a few files that have to run in dos but it won't run them.

I think it's riddled with spyware/virus's by the looks of it. For example the windows updates site puts a picture of new zealand up ?!?
I've run spybot/ad-aware/avg7/NIS2004 (when it worked) they've cleared alot of stuff, but some of it seems to keep coming back.
NIS2004 won't reinstall now, XPsp2 keeps thowing up an error on install, it won't download from the microsoft site due to some security setting.

The laptop is a Compac Presario 2100 running xp home.
Thank you.

ste_bla 20:55 12 Dec 04

Go into the BIOS ste CDrom as first boot device then reboot with CD already in and hey presto it will bring up restore to factory setting options!

cdb 20:56 12 Dec 04

Cheers, I'll give that ago.

woodchip 20:57 12 Dec 04

It should be set. Just try starting with the CD and choose CD drive when it asks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…