How do I use Outlook instead of Outlook Express?

as400man 15:45 26 Sep 03

I have MS Office 2000 running on XP but the default mailer is Outlook Express. I tried a while ago installing Outlook and I ended up in a bit of a mess so I backed it out. I would appreciate any help you could give me to get this running instead of the rather noddy Express version.
Thanks and Regards

LeadingMNMs 17:15 26 Sep 03

Do you have outlook on the system or not. I would have thought that it would have been installed with Office.

If you have existing e-mail accounts then Outlook may import them from OE on its own. If not then open OE and find the menu with Accounts on it. From there you will need to export any accounts you need. Then go into Outlook find the same Accounts screen and go Import. Then import all the *.iaf files that you exported from OE. You might have problems with OE wanting to be your default mail client though !

soy 18:14 26 Sep 03

To make Outlook the default mail client you have to:

START> Programs> control panel> Add or Remove programs

down the left hand side of the window, there should be a button called 'Set program access and defaults'.

Click this and you should be able to specify with programs you want as the default program windows will use.

as400man 18:51 26 Sep 03

I do have Outlook as part of Office 2000. I will try your suggestions and see where I get. But I may be back!

R4 19:39 26 Sep 03

When you start Outlook for the first time it should ask if you wish to make it the Default Mail program.

then it goes through the mail setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…