how do I use my second drive for storage?

normanneil01 18:48 12 Jan 09

I recently got a laptop from a friend and it has 2 drives and the first one is almost full. Whenever I download anything it automatically stores it in the first drive which has no space. This seems like a simple problem but unfortunately I'm new to this sort of stuff so can anyone help

johndrew 18:58 12 Jan 09

You should be able to choose the drive to which downloads are sent from the `Options` panel in your browser.

Which browser is it you use?

In Firefox you navigate `Tools/Options/Main/Downloads` and Browse to the location. Select your second drive and click `OK` in each selection window.

MAJ 19:00 12 Jan 09

Whenever you click on a link to download a file, you will be asked if you want to Save the file or Open the file. When you click Save to download the file you will be asked where on your hard drive you want to save the file, the default location is usually somewhere on your C: drive. You have to change that to your second drive using the "Browse" option that should be there. As this is a laptop, chances are that you don't have two physical drives installed, rather you have one drive with two partitions. Most of the time on laptops, this second partition holds the files needed to restore your laptop to factory settings in case of an emergency. If that is the case then do not store any other files on that partition. Instead you should do a bit of housekeeping on the C: drive and remove some of the rubbish or files that you don't need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…