how do i use a laptop to share a printer please

sunny staines 11:23 27 Aug 06

using xp the desktop is connected to a printer via usb. the laptop connects via wifi to a router. is it possible to share the desktop printer via wifi?

please show simple instructions as i am new to all this area please.

FelixTCat 14:02 27 Aug 06

sunny staines,

Yes, it is possible.

First, you have to enable File and Printer sharing on both pcs:

Go to Control Panel - Network Connections, right-click on the connection being used (presumably Local Area Connection for the desktop, Wireless network connection for the laptop) and click Properties. Tick the box for File and Printer Sharing for microsoft Networks. OK out.

Next, you have to set the printer for sharing:

On the desktop, go to Control Panel - Printers and Faxes. Right-click on the printer icon and click Sharing. Click on the Share this printer button. Click OK

The printer should now appear in My Network Places on the laptop.

Regards,

Felix

sunny staines 14:03 27 Aug 06

thanks for the imput.

Do i need to install the printer drivers on the laptop?

FelixTCat 14:59 27 Aug 06

sunny staines,

No, Windows deals with all that.

Regards,

Felix

sunny staines 18:25 27 Aug 06

thanks again will try it tomorrow.

terryf 01:53 28 Aug 06

You will find that xp printer sharing works well, I have 2 printers on 1 machine shared through a routerto another PC

sunny staines 11:31 28 Aug 06

felixtcat

on the 2nd step of your instructions you state "right click the printer icon and click sharing"
when i goto the sharing tab i am given 3 options
1]this computer connects directly to the internet
2]this computer connects through a residential gateway
3] other

now my desktop is wired to the router and my laptop connects only via wifi. which oop do i go for? and is it the same for both the laptop & desktop?

FelixTCat 12:04 28 Aug 06

sunny staines,

You are on Option 2 - the residential gateway is your router.

I'm not sure why you got this message, but I have been sharing my printers for so long that I may have got that message first time too.

Regards,

Felix

sunny staines 15:48 28 Aug 06

do i need to repeat this network wizard on the laptop as well if so is it option 2 too?.

FelixTCat 16:34 28 Aug 06

sunny staines,

You should only run the network wizard if you haven't set up ANY network before. All it does is set your pc to obtain an IP address automatically and set the same workgroup address on all pcs. All you need do is right-click on the printer you want to share.

You do need to set up file and printer sharing on all the pcs, but they will only appear in My Network Places on the other pcs if you share a file or folder on that pc.

Regards,

Felix

sunny staines 16:40 28 Aug 06

thanks yet again for helping me out. not run a network before only recently got a wifi router & laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac