How do I use Domain Name in a home network

Grimsward 17:17 15 Dec 13

I have a registered domain name and would like to use this for my home network and identify the individual devices on it. I'm not sure how to do this. Can someone point me to any articles or information that would help me, please?

jaywoo 21:47 15 Dec 13

Are you referring to an internet domain name, or a Windows/Active Directory domain? The two are different things.

Grimsward 21:49 15 Dec 13

An internet domain name.

alanrwood 09:47 16 Dec 13

If you have a registered internet name you can't do anything now about that. If you mean you simply wish to call your internal network the same then go to Control Panel\System\Advanced and change your network name there. This will mean your internal network will have whatever name you allocate. If you mean that you want to make your wireless access name (SSID) something different to what it is now then you need to access your router control panel/menu and change it there in the box labelled SSID.

Can'y actually think of any reason why you would want your internal network name or SSID to b e the same as your external domain name as it might cause some confusion at times.

If I have misunderstood what you are asking please can you give more details of exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Forum Editor 19:42 18 Dec 13

A domain name registration is simply that - you can't do anything with the name until it's hosted on a web server. Then you can run a web site with it, and/or set up mailboxes, so you can have [email protected] as an email address.

When you ask if you can 'use' your name on your home network it doesn't mean anything to us - what exactly is it that you want to do?

Yokel 11:54 21 Dec 13

For device names on my LAN I have used entries in my HOSTS files in the form

192.168.0.1 dg-834.XXXXXXX.net #Netgear router

192.168.0.2 PCY.XXXXXXX.net #Y's PC

192.168.0.3 PCZ.XXXXXXX.net #Z's PC

192.168.0.4 ls-gl0d2.XXXXXXX.net #Buffalo LinkStation

192.168.0.5 kdl-32ex703.XXXXXXX.net #Sony TV

The local systems are then defined for DNS and the full URLs can be used.

Your IP addresses will be whatever you router uses of course. Note that anything on a line after a '#' character is ignored and that 'XXXXXXX' is actually the Workgroup name.

I have some registered domains but use them only for flexible and unchanging e-mail addresses.

alanrwood 15:34 21 Dec 13

Until the OP replies with what he actually means I suggest we don't respond any further and go off on tangents that may be way of subject.

alanrwood 15:35 21 Dec 13

Until the OP replies with what he actually means I suggest we don't respond any further and go off on tangents that may be way of subject.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…