HOW DO I UPGRADE MY PC???

JUSZO 23:37 17 Jan 03
  JUSZO 23:37 17 Jan 03

I HAVE A COMPAQ PRESARIO, AMD ATHLON 1Ghz, 128mb RAM, 30GB HARD DRIVE. I'D LIKE TO UPGRADE THE PROCESSOR UP TO PENTIUM 4 LEVEL, THE RAM UP TO 512mb AND THE HARD DRIVE UP TO 8OGB. IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO, FOR A BIT OF A NOVICE LIKE ME? IF SO, ROUGHLY WHAT WOULD IT COST, AND WHERE SHOULD I GO FOR ADVICE AND TO PURCHASE? ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...

Timeforabeer 23:54 17 Jan 03

Any idea of the make of your motherboard?

JUSZO 23:59 17 Jan 03

AT THE RISK OF SOUNDING LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT....WHERE WOULD I FIND THAT INFO? WOULD IT BE IN CONTROL PANEL SOMEWHERE?

mosie 00:06 18 Jan 03

The MOBO usually appears at the intial bootup screen, At least mine does. Its unlikely that u could simply swap an Athlon for a P4 as they are different chips with different pins and run at different speeds. The RAM would be easy enough as long as there is a free slot on the motherboard. Go to click here to see what ram u need for that computer. Again the HDD would be a case of pluging it inand formatting.

good luck
Mosie

Timeforabeer 00:08 18 Jan 03

I'm on the compaq site at the moment.....what type of presario is it? ie.. there should be a number on the front plate

nightporter 00:13 18 Jan 03

Compaq make it so difficult for you to upgrade, first you WILL need a new mobo and power supply. I speak from experience.

JUSZO 00:19 18 Jan 03

ITS A 5000 SERIES PRESARIO. EXACT MODEL 5WV296

Timeforabeer 00:45 18 Jan 03

If you click here you will download belarc advisor. This will tell you all about your pc's spec. Failing that click here will take you to the compaq/hp uk site.

JUSZO 13:19 18 Jan 03

time for a beer....thanks. I'll give it a try now.

clayton 13:59 18 Jan 03

How much do you have to spend & what will you use the pc for ? if you want P4 speed you will need a new motherboard & DDR memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…