HOW DO I UPGRADE MY PC???

JUSZO 23:37 17 Jan 03
  JUSZO 23:37 17 Jan 03

I HAVE A COMPAQ PRESARIO, AMD ATHLON 1Ghz, 128mb RAM, 30GB HARD DRIVE. I'D LIKE TO UPGRADE THE PROCESSOR UP TO PENTIUM 4 LEVEL, THE RAM UP TO 512mb AND THE HARD DRIVE UP TO 8OGB. IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO, FOR A BIT OF A NOVICE LIKE ME? IF SO, ROUGHLY WHAT WOULD IT COST, AND WHERE SHOULD I GO FOR ADVICE AND TO PURCHASE? ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...

Timeforabeer 23:54 17 Jan 03

Any idea of the make of your motherboard?

JUSZO 23:59 17 Jan 03

AT THE RISK OF SOUNDING LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT....WHERE WOULD I FIND THAT INFO? WOULD IT BE IN CONTROL PANEL SOMEWHERE?

mosie 00:06 18 Jan 03

The MOBO usually appears at the intial bootup screen, At least mine does. Its unlikely that u could simply swap an Athlon for a P4 as they are different chips with different pins and run at different speeds. The RAM would be easy enough as long as there is a free slot on the motherboard. Go to click here to see what ram u need for that computer. Again the HDD would be a case of pluging it inand formatting.

good luck
Mosie

Timeforabeer 00:08 18 Jan 03

I'm on the compaq site at the moment.....what type of presario is it? ie.. there should be a number on the front plate

nightporter 00:13 18 Jan 03

Compaq make it so difficult for you to upgrade, first you WILL need a new mobo and power supply. I speak from experience.

JUSZO 00:19 18 Jan 03

ITS A 5000 SERIES PRESARIO. EXACT MODEL 5WV296

Timeforabeer 00:45 18 Jan 03

If you click here you will download belarc advisor. This will tell you all about your pc's spec. Failing that click here will take you to the compaq/hp uk site.

JUSZO 13:19 18 Jan 03

time for a beer....thanks. I'll give it a try now.

clayton 13:59 18 Jan 03

How much do you have to spend & what will you use the pc for ? if you want P4 speed you will need a new motherboard & DDR memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…