How do I update my Nvidia driver

conburt 09:26 27 Apr 06

I recently tried to update my NVIDIA GeForce FX5950 Ultra driver with disastrous consequences.
I uninstalled the current driver using control panel/add/remove programs as suggested by NVIDIA and then tried to install the update from the download I did from the NVIDIA web site. It started to install and then gave the error message " An error occured during installation of the device. The parameter is incorrect".
I then tried to reinstall the driver I was using but got the same message. I was then in a position where I could not install any driver.
I have had to reinstall windows XP and have come to a point where one of my video editing programmes will not work unless I update the driver.

I have the new driver download on my desktop but am naturally very wary of installimg it.

Can anyone advise please what may have gone wrong.

Stuartli 09:33 27 Apr 06

Read this comprehensive guide to updating nVidia drivers (there's an ATi version as well):

click here

rickd 11:39 27 Apr 06

My commiserations, I've been trying to update my nvidia driver for 4 days now, and everything I've tried (followed the tweaks by the book and some more!) have failed. Quite often I get "an error occured... " "access denied". Even when I try a different route and think its worked (i.e. the new driver is actually listed in device manager), its still frozen on reboot.

Fortunately I've always been able to restore.

Has anyone else had probs over the last few days, say since recent patches from MS? I'm just trying to rule this out in my case.

Let us know if/how you succeed

RobCharles1981 11:43 27 Apr 06

I would of thought, too: Uninstall the Graphics Drivers and use CCleaner and Regscrub too clean up any after traces and then reboot and try and install the drivers, if that wont work re-download the driver file again

Stuartli 14:37 27 Apr 06

It could be worth you reading this information about one of the latest MS updates:

click here

conburt 14:49 27 Apr 06

Thanks to everyone. I've checked the MS update info & my driver is not one of those affected.
I have copied the TweakGuides installation information & set up & will try this approach.
Thanks again.

blanco 18:39 27 Apr 06

You have my sympathy. The only time I have had any trouble updated the nVidia driver is when I took their advice and uninstalled the existing one before downloading.
For the other dozen or so times I have let it install on top without any problem whatsoever and it then also keeps all my exisiting settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…