How do I transfer stuff to my new hard drive?

PRESTERJOHN 21:20 27 Jan 05

I have had a new extra 80 gb hard drive fitted to my PC.I would like that to be my default hard drive and have my existing 40gb drive used for storing the usual junk on.

How easy is it to transfer everything over?

Storik 22:51 27 Jan 05

That when installing a new 120GB hard drive, I disconnected the old one and installed everything as new on the new one. You obviously don't want to do this, but I regarded it as an opportunity to get rid of all the guff that had gathered on the old drive.

Once I had done this, incidentally the 120GB was partioned into three, I reconnected the old drive as primary slave, and transferred the files I wanted to keep onto the second partition, then formatted the old drive.

I'm sure someone can come up with a better suggestion than mine, but it is a thought.

Storik

Jeffers22 23:03 27 Jan 05

If you want to transfer everything, try the HDD manufacturers website. They may have a utility to do just this available for download.

Have to say though, as Storic says, you have a golden opportunity to have a clear out and end up with a new qick windows system.

Robotic_Rob 23:29 27 Jan 05

Whats wrong with a good old copy and paste?

New hdd as slave, old as master.
Alter the settings so you can see hidden files, select all, copy and paste on to the new hdd. That should copy it all over i believe. And swap the hdd's over, so the new is the master and the old is a slave.

Bapou 23:37 27 Jan 05

Don't know the answer to your question on making second drive the primary, Other than, I just transferred "the usual junk", all personally created files to a new second. Uninstalled third party sofware, reinstalled on second drive.

Not really much more than Windows system on the old drive now.

dan11 23:49 27 Jan 05

This should help you get through the process of cloning your new drive. click here

bluesbrother 23:58 27 Jan 05

Personally I would use the smaller drive to run windows and the larger one for storage. My C Drive is 6Gb, so if I have to format it I don't lose much.

Chezdez 00:43 28 Jan 05

you can't make copies of system files, so you couldn't copy the O/S

PRESTERJOHN 01:32 28 Jan 05

I expect I have got loads of stuff I don't need. My old 40gb drive was chock full 4gb was a system recovery that I had to do almost as soon as I bought the PC (a real pain as this slows the PC down to a crawl when I first switch the PC on) The remaining 36gb have filled with god knows what. I can only account for about 20gb the remaining 16gb is a mystery to me. I would be frightened to delete things I am unsure of though especialy when it is not always obvious what they are.

How do I alter the settings to see hidden files?

Chezdez 01:39 28 Jan 05

tools > folder options > view tab, one of the options there will change it

Danoh 02:22 28 Jan 05

Robotic_Rob, the reason you can't just do a copy and paste of system files is that the exact or explicit machine code address of where it starts and ends on the new hard disk drive (HDD) needs to match what the relevant program has recorded for it. Almost all computer programming languages reference these explicit addresses as implicit names to make it easier for us to read and conceptualise it. But computers actually work at the machine level (0's and 1's as you know), which requires the explicit addresses for all system files needed by any program.

Also, a new 80Gb HDD most probably has exactly the same number of internal platers and physical dimensions as the old 40Gb. So data is packed twice as tightly on the new 80Gb HDD.

If the two HDDs spin at the same speed, data packed twice as densely on the new HDD will mean an effective doubling of the speed data can be read. But your new 80Gb HDD probably spins faster than your old 40Gb HDD. Lets say, twice as fast. Which means the data is read 4x as fast, especially if stored on the edge of the HDD's platter which goes past the read-heads faster then if the data is closer to the spindle.

So, a small new C: partition on your new HDD will be situated at the edge of your HDD platter. Installing your programs here would mean they can be started up a bit faster as they can be read and initiated into memory faster.

Hope that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…