How do I trandfer software to an other PC?

Dalglish2 21:50 02 Jul 08

Hi
I have several programmes on my laptop but would like to transfer these to my desktop.
I have used True Image to create back up copies of the laptop but am reluctant to use this as this might overwrite my desktop OS and introduce viruses.
Is there a way round this?
Thanks
Sam

MAT ALAN 21:56 02 Jul 08

but am reluctant to use this as this might overwrite my desktop OS and introduce viruses.

SINCE WHEN!!!!

there is no point backing anything up if you are not going to use it, the only way it can introduce a virus is if its already in your backup but if you do not know if your PC is clean there is also NO POINT in backing up.

If you have the discs why not just reinstall them...

FatboySlim71 21:57 02 Jul 08

If you "have used True Image to create back up copies of the laptop" and you install this on to another computer.

I think you would have all kinds of problems because there would be a good chance that the other computer would have a different brand of motherboard and as such would have different drivers etc, so basically the back up would include drivers for another brand of motherboard etc.

PA28 21:59 02 Jul 08

Reinstall programs from your original disks and restore any data from your backup.

ventanas 21:59 02 Jul 08

Depends what they are, some simple programs will just copy and work, but the vast majority will not. They need to copy files to various places besides the program's folder, and also create registry entries. The only way is to use the installation media. If you have them on your laptop then you will surely have this. But check the licences first, they may be restricted to just the one installation.
True image will not work as it will overwrite the entire system and copy a host of incompatible files.

MarvintheAndroid 22:03 02 Jul 08

Sorry, without the install disks you are snookered.

Marv

Life. Don't talk to me about life!

Dalglish2 08:44 03 Jul 08

thanks guys - understood.
Will install using program media if available.
have good day
Sam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5