how do i tell if my laptop is wireless?

nat2506 13:05 17 Nov 05

Hi I actually have 2 problems. I think my laptop is wireless enabled, as when I go into my computer, network connections etc it does say something about wireless and how to set up wireless networks etc, therefore I presumed this means my laptop is wireless enabled?

If I am true in thinking this how do i connect to the internet? I have no phoneline at home (as we live in a shared house and cannot get a phoneline installed) My friends say their wireless laptop picks up a signal from their neighbours' broadband and connects them that way? If this is possible how do I do this?

Many thanks

mgmcc 13:46 17 Nov 05

If you open the Network Connections folder and there is an entry for "Wireless Network Connection", then the laptop is wireless enabled. The wireless adapter should also appear in Device Manager.

<<< My friends say their wireless laptop picks up a signal from their neighbours' broadband and connects them that way? If this is possible how do I do this? >>>

While it may be possible, it isn't legal to "piggyback" someone else's broadband connection unless you have agreed with them to do this. If they are agreeable, your wireless software should find "Available Networks" to which you can connect, you highlight the relevant one and click "Connect". If the network has been encrypted, which it should have been for security, you need to enter the key in order to connect.

nat2506 16:27 17 Nov 05

thank you so much for that. You mentioned wireless adaptor-is this something I have to buy or should this already be there in device manager?

Thanks again

Taff™ 17:50 17 Nov 05

If it`s wireless enabled it is built in to the laptop. Why don`t you post the make and model of the laptop and I`ll look it up for you.

nat2506 12:29 18 Nov 05

HI again

I looked in network connections folder and there is no entry for wireless network connection, unfortunetly! I was getting mixed up, as there is an entry where you can set up a wireless network between computers. I dont think this is the same thing. I couldnt find the device manager ( I am clueless as it is my partners laptop).

Thanks for all your help anyway, im not sure of the model number of the laptop anyway, but thanks for offering to look it up.

Now i know my laptop is not wireless enabled, is there anything I can buy to make it wireless enabled?

thanks

Taff™ 13:26 18 Nov 05

Device manager is start>Control Panel>System and on the Hardware Tab.

You simply need a wireless USB Adapter like click here= or a PCMCIA Card like click here=

nat2506 15:08 18 Nov 05

thank you very much, i will buy one of those.

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…