How do I switch off MSM on start up??

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 22:57 17 May 04

Hi

Can someone help me get rid of MSM Messenger from my start up.

I thought if I just unticked the box from start up (msconfig) and that would be that but NO!

I get a start up box saying that I've changed start up settings blah blah

Its annoying me as my desktop takes a couple of minutes (or seems to) while it waits for this bloody thing!

I have XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.

OneSirKnight 23:03 17 May 04

go to Start/run/and type msconfig then click on the startup tab and take the tick out of the box next to MSN ,You then click ok /restart and when your deaktop come on you will get a text box with information on selective start up put a tick in the little window so message dosn't display again

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 23:04 17 May 04

That what I'm doing???

PSF 23:04 17 May 04

Have a look here for 'shoot the messenger' click here

OneSirKnight 23:05 17 May 04

sorry never read your post properly, time for bed i think, are you sure its msn messenger and not windows mesanger very similar but not the same

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 23:08 17 May 04

Yeah sorry its Windows Messenger. Thought they were the same!

OneSirKnight 23:08 17 May 04

more advice on removing messenger and a tool you can download to do it for you or do it manualy
click here

pc moron 23:14 17 May 04

Go to Program Files/Messenger and rename the folder to something like NoMessenger.

This will stop Windows Messenger and Outlook Express should continue to function normally- if Win Messenger is disabled or removed, Outlook Express takes ages to open on some systems.

LIVING_ON_BORROWED_TIME 17:48 18 May 04

Hi

I've tried renaming it but i get the "Access denied pop up" after renaming!

PSF 17:55 18 May 04

click here

This is from the Windows messenger site.

cream. 17:57 18 May 04

Just go to control panel \ add and remove proggys and then the add and remove windows components. Scroll down to windows messenger and take the tick out. You may require the xp disk.

Reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…