How do I stop the little Pop-ups on this site?

TonyV 19:40 05 Apr 10

I find it very irritating when browsing through the Helproom pages on this site and I happen to cross some of the key words that are shown in green. Someting like "Excel" or "File Sharing" or "Windows" etc. and a pop-up appears usually from "Bing" or some other advertising gimmick telling me where I can get Excel etc!

Is there any settings that can stop this happening or is it something we have to live with?

Cheers

TonyV

birdface 19:43 05 Apr 10

IE7Pro Add-on If using I/E Make sure Ad-blocker is ticked and mini download manager is unticked.or Adblocker Plus if using Firefox.

TonyV 19:48 05 Apr 10

Perhaps I should have said, I am on XP SP3 and IE8. I do not have IE7Pro Add-on or Ad-blocker!

Does this mean that IE7Pro Add-on will not function with IE8?

TonyV

birdface 19:54 05 Apr 10

No it means download and use IE7pro Add-on.

birdface 19:56 05 Apr 10

Or maybe use this.

click here

TonyV 19:57 05 Apr 10

Thanks very much. I will check with Google and see where I can download it from.

Will let you know how I get on.

TonyV

Terry Brown 20:05 05 Apr 10

Don't you realise, that to geta 'FREE' service you need to have adverts, which pay per click to PCAdvisor.

Or you could have a choice, pay for the forum or lose it!.
Terry

anniesboy 20:11 05 Apr 10

Have a look here also,
click here

TonyV 20:25 05 Apr 10

Of course I realise that adverts are necessary and I have no problems with those wrapped around the pages, what I do object to are those that constantly pop-up when I traverse across the keywords.

TonyV

TonyV 20:36 05 Apr 10

It has now been sorted by using buteman's link above to IE7Pro Add-on. This was also mentioned on your link as well. Thanks

buteman
Thanks for your help. They now do not pop-up!!

Cheers

TonyV

six-h 23:38 05 Apr 10

Just reading this thread has made me aware that those "keyword" roll-overs are no longer appearing on my machine!
Is it something I've done, or have they been discontinued?
I admit it was something of an artform whilst mousing around to try and dodge them but I didn't find them as intrusive as the "ticker" was.
I followed advice here to successfully stop that one, not sure if it's still active though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…