how do i share ny broadband connection

richierich 23:42 09 Aug 04

oh wise people, I have aol broadband connected fine to pc, and a laptop wirelessl;y networked to pc. the two computers see each other fine, i can swap files from each other ok. But i cant get the internet on the laptop through the network.
I have loaded AOL on the laptop and set it to connect through tcp/lan but it cant find it.
any ideas please.

Strawballs 23:46 09 Aug 04

What OS are you using on each machine

richierich 23:48 09 Aug 04

HPpro on the pc connected to the modem and win2000pro on the laptop

richierich 23:49 09 Aug 04

XPpro on the pc connected to the modem and win2000pro on the laptop

TomJerry 23:49 09 Aug 04

You need to enable ICS on your main desktop PC. Search windows's help for "Internet Connection Sharing". It will tell you how to do it.

If this does not work, contact AOL because AOL uses its own special setting, so standard set up does not work. If AOL cannot help you, get another ISP.

richierich 23:51 09 Aug 04

My internet connection says it has been enabled for sharing, I did contact AOl they said they only supported it through a router, but I thought i should be able to do it with one connected and the networked.
I will badger them again

Strawballs 00:01 10 Aug 04

On the XP machine follow instructions on setting up a home network which includes internet connection shareing, which can be found control panel > network connections > left hand pane.

richierich 00:03 10 Aug 04

I tried that, didnt work

richierich 09:27 10 Aug 04

anyone got any ideas, i wondered if its to do with IP addresses(not that i know what Im talking about) but the network itself is ok, ie i can swap files from one computer to the other but i cnt share the connection

TomJerry 13:46 10 Aug 04

I think AOL use proxy server. The desktop is set up automatically when you install AOL. You may need to find the Proxy server address and set it up for your laptop.

In IE: "Tools", "Internet Options", "Connections", "Lan Setting". You should find Proxy setting there if AOL does not hide in some other places.

steven_frost 13:58 10 Aug 04

also AOL i think has a built in firewall that may be stopping you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…