How do i share my boradband? What do i need?

Major Disaster 10:22 18 Dec 05

Hello,

Im looking to share my 2Mbps internet connection from BT. Currently its connected to my main home Dell Dimension Desktop via a BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL Modem. I also have a Dell Inspiron 2650 Laptop.

I want to be able to share my internet so that both the laptop and desktop can share it (while also bearing in mind that this line is also used for phone calls).

What hardware/software will i need and how much is it? What offers good reliability and range (considering i am in a very rural area).

Thanks for the help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:42 18 Dec 05

Currently its connected to my main home Dell Dimension Desktop via a BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL Modem.

1. Wired, connect via a crossover cable direct to laptop and enabe internet connection sharing.

2. Wireless, fit wireless cards/ dongles to both machines and share the UBS modem as above click here

3.Buy a router/modem and wireless cards for both machines and connect wirelessly

click here
for begginners guide to ADSL

Major Disaster 10:45 18 Dec 05

Thanks

I would like to be wireless and so i think option 3 seems simplist, right?

Any links to some of the hardware i would be looking at?

Would the router replace my BT Voyager 100 Modem completely or somehow be connected to it to then share the connection?

Thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:02 18 Dec 05

Router / modem replaces your ADSL modem click here

Do you have wirless card in PC and / laptop

Major Disaster 11:11 18 Dec 05

Thanks

I dont think i have a wireless card in either (my desktop certainly).

Are these just USB dongles that you have to add or a physical card to put in the motherboard (USB preferred especially with laptop!)

What am i looking for then? A ADSL Modem Router? Any features i should be looking for? Ive heard of something then .g or any speeds?

Thanks again

jdb 11:30 18 Dec 05

I have exactly the same set up as you. A PC and laptop. The PC is connected by cable to my Belkin Router which has dual cable and wireless connectivity (so the PC does not need a wireless card). CARE here as it's advisable your Router is connected to the main BT line where it first enters your property. Is that where you want your PC? This issue may be the key driver of what system you employ. My laptop connects via an internal WIFi card (you can buy a USB WIFi instead) to the Router. Additionally the two machines are connected to each other through the Router so I can share files and printing etc.
You might like to consider how you are going to use a printer. If the printer is connected to the PC it will be possible to share that with your laptop (only if your PC is left on).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:39 18 Dec 05

Laptop wireless cards click here

Wireless dongle
click here

Wireless cards
click here

Major Disaster 13:13 18 Dec 05

Thanks for the response

jdb - Im not quite sure where the line enters the property as we have two lines and only one of them is for internet.
I have a printer and would like to share it. It is connected via USB to the desktop.

So what do i need? A router "which has dual cable and wireless connectivity (so the PC does not need a wireless card)", and a wireless dongle for my laptop?

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…