how do i setup wireless networking

lonemascot 18:32 08 Oct 05

I have just bought a laptop with a Prism 802.11g wireless adapter.

using my laptop I want to make use of the printers and broadband connection on my desktop PC without wireing everywhere.

I also want to transfer files between the two computers.

Can i use the wireless adapter for this? if so what do i need to buy for my desktop PC to make this possible?

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:45 08 Oct 05
  Arthur Scrimshaw 18:47 08 Oct 05

should have said you will need to buy a wireless network card for the desktop (about £15 - £25 depending on make)

lonemascot 18:52 08 Oct 05

i have a router but only have one ethernet output.

so i basically use that ethernet output to connect to my desktop via a newly bought network card. then i just configure the two computers to detect each other.

is that right?

Arthur Scrimshaw 19:02 08 Oct 05

how do you connect to the internet - is it a combined router/modem? Also how are you using the router at the moment?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 08 Oct 05
  lonemascot 19:55 08 Oct 05

at the moment im connecting my desktop through usb to the router as i dont have an ethernet port on my PC. i have the laptop connected via the ethernet port to the router as well.

Arthur Scrimshaw 22:32 08 Oct 05

Ditch the router - you don't need it. I have to assume you connect to the internet via your desktop pc (usb modem?). You just need to buy a wireless card for your desktop, install it and follow the instructions in the link I (and Fruit Bat) posted. You don't need an ethernet port on either pc. The article mentions the modem connecting via an ethernet port, but it works just as well with a USB modem. Also it's easier to set up if you don't enable WEP until you get both pcs talking to each other, just make sure you do enable it as soon as possible.
Post back if this isn't clear.

VoG II 22:35 08 Oct 05

Related click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…