How do I set up a wireless adsl connection

darrenaj 23:18 31 Jan 05

I run xp and broadband. I have a cable running across the living room to connect from the computer to the modem. I was advised that I needed a wireless router with built in modem and a usb dongle, as I do not have a network card and I didn't feel confident enough to install one. I have tried to follow the instructions, bu they don't make sense and I don't get on screen what I should. HELP!!

johnnyrocker 23:23 31 Jan 05
  LeadingMNMs 23:28 31 Jan 05

Normally to enter the routers setup you will have to enter its IP address (a series of 4, 3 digit numbers seperated by a '.'). This can simply be entered into the address bar of a browser.

Depending on the router, you may be prompted for a username and password, enter these if required. The IP address, username and password should all be in the manual.

If your getting the "Page cannot be displayed" screen then its likely that the hardwares not connected properly. Check the lights on the router and on the USB dongle (I assume that It'll have one - never used one myself).

darrenaj 23:34 31 Jan 05

The first instruction I get is to do a cmd and release the ip address, but I get cannot release ip as the media device is disconnected. All lights on the router and dongle are on, but they don't seem to be talking to each other. They are both compatible. I am a complete novice and may be doing something stupid, but I am following the instructions, although they are very poor.

LeadingMNMs 23:41 31 Jan 05

I wouldn't worry about releasing the IP address, I've certainly never had to do it. Open the command prompt again (cmd) and type "ping 10.0.0.2" replacing the '10.0.0.2' with the IP address of the router, as stated in the manual.

If the packets are recived then they can at least talk to each other, whereas time outs indicate that they're not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…