How do I set up a new network

Hedders83 18:00 17 Oct 09

I have a Netgear DG 834GT ADSL Router that was set up on a secure network by my son for his laptop, He has now gone off to university and i want to connect my home PC to the network as the PC is far away from the BT point. Unfortunately he cannot remember the WEP key for the network so I can't get in. Is there any way of reseting the router and staring again from scratch? I am trying to use a USB pen wireless adapter,thanks

FreeCell 19:36 17 Oct 09

To restore the factory default configuration settings without knowing the administration password
or IP address, you must use the Default Reset button on the rear panel of the router.
1. Press and hold the Default Reset button until the Test LED turns on (about 10 seconds).
2. Release the Default Reset button and wait for the router to reboot.

mgmcc 20:36 17 Oct 09

You can access a DG834G's configuration pages by connecting to it by ethernet cable, NOT WIRELESSLY, typing its IP address of 192.168.0.1 into your web browser and, when prompted, entering the Username 'admin' and Password 'password' (both without the quotes). You can then set up a new WEP key, because Netgear mask the existing key in their routers with dots so you won't be able to read it.

For 64-bit WEP, use 10 hexadecimal characters.

For 128-bit WEP, use 26 hexadecimal characters.

Hexadecimal characters are the numbers "0" to "9" and letters "a" to "f" only, a total of 16 available characters.

Hedders83 22:02 17 Oct 09

thanks all sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…