How do I set up a home network.

Press Man 13:39 24 Jun 04

Hi Guys,
I want to set up a network between my comp and my son's laptop so that we can both have access to BB. My O/S is ME and my son's is XP. Problem is I don't know what is required or how to do it? Can anybody explain this or direct me somewhere to get clear easy to follow instuctions. Thanks in advance for your help.

MartinT-B 14:25 24 Jun 04

Assuming you have an ASDL broadband, all you need is a router, some cables (usually in the router pack) and connections on the PCs

Some PCs have an ethernet 10/100 connection already on the motherboard, with others you will have to buy a PCI card, or something to connect to the router.

If all you need to do is share an internet conn (rather than share a printer or files between the computers) then it's pretty straight forward.

Please advise make and model of the laptop and PC for more specific advice.

In the meantime, click here for an excellent site covering all aspects of windows networking.

byfordr 14:25 24 Jun 04

click here some good links/advise contained within.

I would advise some form of all-in-one unit. Which includes a router, a wireless router, firewall and modem. This allows you to use either pc without the other being on.

Two ways of doing this first is everything wireless. For this you need a all-in-one unit, and a wireless adapter for each pc. The next way will save you some money if your phoneline is near the desktop. For this you will need a wireless adapter for the laptop. Then using cat 5 cable you would wire the desktop into the router saving the cost of a wireless adapter. You will need a network card on the desktop to do this.

Also you need filters on every phone socket in the house. click here These do the business. You will normally get filter in the box when you buy your modem. Once your filters are in, plug the router in and follow the equipments set up instructions.

Would recommend the Netgear DG834G as it is a breeze to set up. You may still be able to get a deal with a free laptop or desktop wireless adapter if you dig around. Failing that for good bundle deals of other manufacturers try click here

Post back if you need any further advice.

Press Man 15:03 24 Jun 04

All I really need is to share the Internet connection. Sharing the printer would be a bonus but not files. I don't have PC & laptop details to hand now but can send later if it helps.

wallbash 15:36 24 Jun 04

Just to muddy the water slightly, Have small network set up at home, and having the printer avaliable to all ( 3 machines i.e. 2 daughters and me) is a real bonus. Main reason for choosing My router was the print server option. Before rushing out to but a cheap router, think how you both going to use BB. diff between router optins might be small now, but future upgrading expensive!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…