How do I send a FAX from my computer?

beastieboy 16:31 16 Jun 03

Hi,

I am on ADSL, got Windows XP and have Office Xp and was wondering how I would setup my computer to send and receive faxes?

What kind of software is out there so I can do this?

Many thanks,

Janusz

GroupFC 17:01 16 Jun 03

XP has it's own Fax facility. This is found in All programs>Accessories>Communications.

From memory this is not installed in a typical XP set up, but can be accessed from Control Panel>Add/remove programs>add windows components.

I am doing this from memory, I will check later when I am home, but in the meantime, this will bump you up the postings, in case somebody more knwledgeable comes along!!

rawprawn 17:02 16 Jun 03

I don't think you will need any additional software, I have Win XP Home & Office 2000, & my son set it up for me. I'm sorry I don't know how but I,m sure that what you have will do it.

beeuuem 17:03 16 Jun 03

Xp has software included for fax, but you can't send fax over BB, it needs a dial up connection to connect to the distant 'phone line.

beastieboy 17:05 16 Jun 03

Ok, I realise the dial-up bit now. But trying to configure it is a bit of a pain. Will I now have ny own FAX number, because I didn't before.

Can I use it whilst I am surfing the net on broadband?

Many thanks,

Janusz

pj123 17:14 16 Jun 03

You will still need a dialup modem card in your PC to send faxes. If you go to click here you can sign up for a personal fax number (0870) i have been using this system for about 4 years now. It costs £23.50 per year and all incoming faxes go into your email inbox. As posted in a previous thread I shot myself in the foot. I changed to BB and thought I didn't need a modem card anymore so I took it out. Unfortunately, you can't send faxes via BB,so I had to put the modem back in. You would also need some software like Supervoice or Faxtalk to be able to send faxes from your PC. Most modem software will have either supervoice or faxtalk on it.

Carafaraday 17:24 16 Jun 03

Is there any way those of us who still have Windows 98 can send/receive faxes?

beastieboy 17:25 16 Jun 03

Hi,

What software would U suggest for sending faxes out then? I am not so interested in receiving them at this moment but I will in the near future

Cheers

graham√ 17:30 16 Jun 03

This has been mentioned before, you can send a fax on ADSL but the result is plain text only.

click here

pj123 17:36 16 Jun 03

To beastieboy and Carafaraday. Yes, Supervoice (which is what I use) or Faxtalk will enable you to send faxes from any programme you have that has a "print" function. Just type up what you want to fax in Word, or Works or Publisher or, in fact, any programme that you can print from and then choose File, Print and change the printer to "Pic printer" (if using Supervoice) or whatever the Faxtalk printer is and OK then fill in the details to where it is going and click on send. If you want to receive faxes via Supervoice or Faxtalk your PC needs to be on all the time and either one of those programmes running at the time. If you use the link in the previous response to trinite you do not have to have your PC switched on, which is the reason I use Trinite.

Carafaraday 18:54 16 Jun 03

Thanks to pj123 and graham.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…