How do I 'send to' to an external cd/dvd drive?

olddromola 17:35 25 Sep 10

My cd/dvd drive has gone on strike again and the usual 'Fixits' have not worked. For the time being I have bought an external drive and it is working well including 'auto-run'. However, when I try to 'send to' it (the external drive) does not appear in the selection box. Any suggestions?

MAJ 17:37 25 Sep 10

Drag a shortcut of your external drive to the Send To folder, the option should then appear in the right-click menu.

olddromola 17:44 25 Sep 10

Thanks MAJ, but I have already done that through the start menu route and it still does not appear when I right-click. I'm on Vista by the way.

MAJ 17:47 25 Sep 10

Have you checked visually that the shortcut is indeed in the C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo, folder?

peter99co 17:49 25 Sep 10

The send-to menu folder is hidden I think.

rdave13 17:52 25 Sep 10

Type shell:sendto in the search box.

peter99co 17:53 25 Sep 10

I got access is forbidden when I tried to look (also on Vista)

MAJ 18:04 25 Sep 10

I suspect you're trying to access the 'Application Data' folder, rather than the hidden 'AppData' folder. To view the Folder, go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab and tick the 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' option, click Apply and OK to exit.

peter99co 21:37 25 Sep 10

Thanks

rdave13 22:17 25 Sep 10

No need to unhide any hidden folders or system files. Type shell:sendto in search bar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now