How do I secure my wireless network??

bsr1976 14:38 26 Apr 06

Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased a laptop Sony Vaio SZ1XP XP Pro, with Linksys WAG54G wireless modem router, my ISP is Pipex. I have connected my desktop through the ethernet connection, everything is fantastic!!

Except, I'm pulling my hair out trying to establish a 'secure wireless connection'......can anyone give me some basic step by step advise? Please.......

ade.h 18:41 26 Apr 06

Is the Linksys manual not helpful? click here and you'll see that the manual is not downloadable, so I can't offer any detailed advice. Every brand of router is unique.

mgmcc 21:29 26 Apr 06

Go to this page in the router's settings and set up WPA encryption similarly to this screenshot - click here The "passphrase" should be between 8 and 63 characters.

Danoh 09:15 27 Apr 06

On your Sony Laptop;

Start> Control Panel> Network Connections>
Right-mouse click on “Wireless Network Connections” and choose “Properties” from the drop-down list.

Click the middle tab "Wireless Networks" (the other 2 are "General" and "Advanced").
The new window will have a “Preferred Networks” box.

It is best to remove any other entries (highlight and click "Remove") to start with a clean sheet.
Then click "Add" to set up a new preferred wireless network, using your home router’s SSID, WPA, Passphrase, etc.

If you have entered everything correctly (very easy to mistype!), once you click “Apply”, “Ok”, your laptop should connect securely pretty much immediately to your home wireless network.

Danoh 09:18 27 Apr 06

Personally, I prefer to also;
< Turn off SSID broadcast
< Setup MAC address filtering so that only my devices can connect to my wireless network

The Router's config page access password needs to be tough to crack.
But even more important is the WPA PassPhrase, for which I use upper and lower case, numbers as well as special characters including spaces, and use the max 63 character allowance.

bsr1976 20:41 27 Apr 06

Thank you so much!!

I now have a secure network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…