How do I save passwords when doing a clean up.

Miros 12:06 25 Feb 07

I intend to help a friend who has just moved into a retirement home to clean up a PC which is available for general use. No one else seems to use at the moment, it is very sluggish and continually looses connection's I suspect there has been no maintenance done on it for a while.

I have downloaded all the usual tweaks and reg cleaners etc to a USB pen memory stick so that I can install and use them. The problem I foresee is that from experience I know doing a cleanup I may also loose any ISP passwords etc, at the moment these have been saved on the PC in question, but since I don't know what these are how can I ensure that they are not lost in the clean up.

When I loose my own passwords obviously it's not a problem, I just insert them again.

Any help would be gratefully received.

BurrWalnut 13:14 25 Feb 07

Get SIW click here select the English version. Run it and click 'Secrets' in the left pane and print it out.

Miros 14:13 25 Feb 07

Have tried on my PC can't get any passwords out of it after playing around with it for a while, maybe it's too secure!! Matter of fact couldn't see secrets in left pane.

BurrWalnut 14:17 25 Feb 07

Secrets is the last entry in the Software section.

Miros 14:20 25 Feb 07

Thanks, got to go out right now will be back shortly and have another look.

Miros 15:10 25 Feb 07

I found it this time.

It found some but not all passwords,hopefully it will find the ones I need when I try the PC cleanup.

BurrWalnut 15:31 25 Feb 07

SIW also has a 'Eureka' icon on it's tool bar, whereby you can run the mouse pointer over 'hidden' passwords in a sign-in box.

BurrWalnut 15:36 25 Feb 07

Whoops, I got the punctuation wrong. I should have said 'its tool bar' not 'it's tool bar'.

Miros 15:40 25 Feb 07

That's the first thing I tried, must have done something wrong though as it printed out my e-mail page that came up.

It's an interested program and I'm sure I'll make greater use of it when I'm more familiar with it.

Thanks again.

Miros 16:23 25 Feb 07

Tried Eureka on an extra unused and unimportant mail address with long forgotten password, it showed it as xxxxxxx I copied and pasted but it wouldn't accept on this occasion.

smokingbeagle 18:19 25 Feb 07

click here
Make a note of the password and then delete the program from the computer as it flags up, sometimes, as spyware due to the way it works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…