How do I save favourites and OE?

katswhiskers 10:34 11 Mar 07

My hard drive is on the way out.

I have saved Documents onto a CR, but I cannot save favourites or Outlook Express emails (unless I save one email at a time.) I get a Windows error message everytime I try!

VoG II 10:51 11 Mar 07

click here

For Favorites, in IE File > Import and Export and follow the prompts.

beeuuem 12:44 11 Mar 07

My own favourite for this is OE Freebie Backup click here which allows you to save all the settings from one programme.
Although this programme will do it for you if you save the registry entries, don't forget to save your mail settings - export from each account and you'll be able to import them on your new drive. Saves time having to look up passwords etc.

katswhiskers 14:45 11 Mar 07

Thanks. I've suceeded in saving favourites, BUT in trouble with OE. I went here click here
(No. 1 at the bottom) Did as instructed, but when I returned to OE it was completely empty of all emails! When I tried to restore them from my Documents, as instructed a message said I needed a programme to open the dbx files. There are links for that, but I can't see where I have to download this programme.

Help!

beeuuem 16:24 11 Mar 07

The programme to open the .dbx files is OE.
How did you copy the files and folders? Is it possible that you hit Control-X rather than Control - C? The former would cut the files (removing them from OE) as oppsed to copying them.
If you have saved the files to a location in My Documents you need to open OE and import them by selecting 'Import from an OE store directory' and browsing to the folder you used to save the messages (mail).

katswhiskers 17:14 11 Mar 07

Yeah it did actually copy to my documents and I did what you said. NOW I have just tried again and it worked!! :)

However, the whole idea was to save OE on a disc as backup. When I try to access the folders on the disc or go to my documents and click on a folder, I get 'To open this file Windows needs to know what programme created it. Windows can go online and look it up etc'

So if my PC packs up I still don't have backup it seems!

beeuuem - the programme you suggest - does it save all folders in one go or do I have to save EACH email one at a time? I want to be able to save loads of emails, and settings - the whole Outlook Express in one go.

The last time I went to a forum and checked out 4 sites about saving OE I lost OE altogether. So must be a bug on one of the sites!

Thanks.

Thanks.

beeuuem 17:43 11 Mar 07

The folder that you have created in My Documents can be saved to a CD/DVD When you get your new disk you will need to import the saved data as you have already done BUT by navigating to the folder on the CD.

OE Freebie Backup will backup everything if you select Complete Backup. And it will do a Complete restore.

beeuuem 17:58 11 Mar 07

PS I save to a folder called OE Backup in My Documents. Although you won't be able to open the files you can look in the folder and see what has been backed up to be sure that it has all that you want.

katswhiskers 09:56 12 Mar 07

beeuuem - ah that's normal then to not be able to open the files that have been backed up, but when they are imported back onto a pc it should all be there?

Thanks.

beeuuem 15:06 12 Mar 07

Correct, as long as you can see all the relevant files - Inbox, registry settings etc., you want to save. On restore the information will be back in OE.

terryf 00:16 13 Mar 07

To find all your messages go to OE>tools>options>maintenance and click on Store folder, write down the location that you see here. Navigate to this folder (you may have to go to folder options in Control panel and set it to View - hidden files and folders). Copy this store folder to somewhere to save it. When you want to just copy the saved contents into your new store folder which can be anywhere you like as long as you set the new destination by OE>tools>options>maintenance. I actually keep my store folder on my D drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac