How do I safely Uninstall & Reinstall XP Home +

aussiebikerider 09:57 27 Feb 03

How do I complete the following Tasks? And not lose important files (Family Tree research). Due to prolonged problems with Win. XP Home, some caused by us, & others by the Computer Shop experts, I plan to 1. Uninstall Windows XP Home 2. Reinstall Windows XP Home 3. Install Partition Magic 8 4. Run Fat 32 & not NTFS 5. Install Windows XP Office (full) 6. I'm not concerned if programmes are lost, as they can be reloaded. 7. Can Partition Magic 8 be installed now before doing anything else,& then move files, programmes etc. etc.into newly created Partitions, then do the UNINSTALL/ REINSTALL of Win.XP Home (ONLY)??? 8. Anyone with advice on the CORRECT steps for me to take, with details. Please reply. Is my plan of attack on this task in the right order??? Thanks again, from Noel (Brisbane, Australia).

powerless 10:12 27 Feb 03

There are a few ways you could do it...

Heres my way:-

BOOT from the Windows XP CD > Delete the partition that XP is on > Create a new partition > You can create more than two more partitions just using the CD itself > Format the drive(s) > Put a fresh install of XP on the new partition > Then go through installation, setup and then finally the activation.

Now Install Partiton magic > Do what you want with that.

Now install Windows XP office.

Then install all of your other programs.

However my way requires backup of pictures, documents etc before you could start as you are totally formatting the drive.

If you say you have prolonged problems, this may be the best way.

I'm not sure on question 7 -

MAJ 10:18 27 Feb 03

You can install PM8 now and create a new partition from your free space. You can then move all your important files to that partition for backup, but you can't move your programs, you'll have to reinstall those later. Then format your C: drive in the normal way and reinstall XP. I would advise that you backup your important files to remoable media as well, to be on the safe side, don't take any chances were they're concerned.

MAJ 10:20 27 Feb 03

"remoable"... should read.... removable.

medicine hat 10:31 27 Feb 03

Your biggest issue does seem to be the backing up of those important files to start with - do they fit onto floppy or do you have a CD writer or ZIP disk?

I am intrigued by your dislike of NTFS. I was considering converting my FAT32 partitions so please advise me of the problems you have encountered.

aussiebikerider 10:33 27 Feb 03

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated. Question,>>>>Correct me on this, Once programmes/ files are transferred to CD-R's etc. how do you go into Uninstall XP? By doing this I expect just about everything on the hard drive should disappear back to a bare bones NEW hard drive. We have a 40 GHz + a 10 GHz hard drives. Familytree programme sits alone on the 10 GHZ drive & everything else is on the 40 GHz drive. Everytime the PC has gone to the PC shop it has come back with other probs. Not happy on wasting my money. Any thoughts???

MAJ 10:38 27 Feb 03

If you have two hard drives installed, then you don't need PM8, aussiebikerider. Your Family Tree files will remain untouched on the second dive, but you will need to reinstall the Family Tree program again after reinstalling XP on your first drive. Backup those files to removable media in any case.

powerless 12:17 27 Feb 03

Dont bother trnasferring program files to CD-R as they will be useless. Just copy all the files you cherish and really need.

you will have to reinstall all programs etc...

Just pop the Windows CD in the CD drive and set the CD-rom to boot from within the BIOS (if you dont know how to do this post back)

Then follow the on screen instructions from windows and you will have a formatted drive BARE BONES as you say.

Its very easy easy to do just follow the instruction carefully and you cannot go wrong.

You will also have to format the 10GB and format that as a FAT32 drive. So its probably best if you back that drive up first.

jazzypop 15:22 27 Feb 03

You have been given good advice so far, but I would add one more 'twist'.

Your separate 10GB drive is the key to sanity here.

Before you start, make a new folder on your 10GB drive, and copy across any other documents (such as letters etc that you have created yourself) into that new folder.

Then back up your emails and contacts by searching for a file called outlook.pst, and copying that across to the 10GB drive. This assumes you use Outlook for all your email. If you use Outlook Express, this simplest way is to open Outlook Express and use File > Export, set the destination to be a folder on the 10GB drive, i.e. drive D:

Now you are ready to wipe XP and start again, and completely confident that your data cannot be affected, no matter what you click / press / type.

Insert the XP CD into the drive, and power the PC off. Open the case, and detach the power and ribbon connector from the 10GB drive.

When you then power on the PC, you will be given the option to repair or reinstall XP.

Once you have reinstalled XP and Office, power off the PC and re-connect your 10GB drive. Once you boot up you may need to right-click My Computer, choose Manage, and right-click the 10GB drive for it to be 'accepted' by XP, but all of the data you stored there will be intact.

If you open Outlook and choose File > Import, and point it at the correct location on your 10GB drive, all of your email and contacts will be restored.

Once you have re-installed the Family Tree software, all of your genealogy data will be accessible again.

It's a lot simpler to do it, than explain it :)

aussiebikerider 15:46 28 Feb 03

Yes please Powerless, that BIOS setup info. step by step if possible would also be appreciated. To answer the Fat 32 preference to NTFS. I once had Fat 32 on the 40GHz drive, progs, worked OK. Then a Techy. saw fit to upgrade to NTFS. Now programmes etc won't work or open saying error with Win32. The 10 GHZ drive has Fat32 with the Familytree programme only there. I don't get to the Internet often so my replys are spaced out. I will wait a few days then print out this valuable free help so kindly offered. At least my problems aren't as big as those about to land upon Saddam Hussein.

powerless 20:32 28 Feb 03

First make sure you have your Windows Product Key. This can be found on your Computers base, where the CD rom etc is located. It should be on the side or at the back. A little sticker it will be...click here

Now if you have that please read on. If you do not then STOP and find it, as it’s very important.

Also have your motherboard Manual at hand. If you do not have one, I managed to find you one. If you would like to click here here’s the manual in PDF format. It’s 8.1MB. I would say print all of the (ahem) 80 pages of…

1) Turn on your computer and make all of your backups. To be on the safe side also backup your data on your 10GB drive. Whilst it is still in the computer...

2) Double check those backups make sure you have everything you need. Any important documents etc that need to be saved pop them on the disc.

3) Because we cannot see your computer I would advise you remove your 10GB drive from your computer - Because you have made your backup were safe "IF" anything goes wrong. Physically remove the drive and pop it on the table. Also because the Drive is FAT32 anyway theirs nothing more to be done with this drive.

4) Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD ROM drive and restart your computer...

5) Now when the computer is restarting keep tapping your F8 key. This will bring you into the BIOS.

6) To get around in the BIOS use the arrow keys and to change any settings and use the page up and page down keys. Oh and use ENTER to select an option.

7) Now in order to start, we need to change the way in which your computer starts. It’s very simple to do…Your computer will probably be configured to look here and look there for what is known as a BOOT DISC. By default (I assume) your computer is set to only look at the floppy drive for a BOOT disc. It varies between all motherboards and the way in which your computer was configured in the first place.

8) Please take a Rest

9) Now within the BIOS look for “First/Second/Third/other BOOT Device”. You will have to disable everything apart from the CD-ROM drive… (Page 29) Also note down what the settings are so you can change them back later on.

For Example:-

First – CD ROM

Second – Disabled

Third – Disabled

Other - Disabled

It may look like this it may not.

Now you have to save this change simply exit and when you are ready to leave hit ESC and you will (I assume) be asked to SAVE YOUR CHANGES choose yes.

This means that the computer will look at the CD ROM Drive for a BOOTABLE CD. The windows XP CD is a bootable CD.

10) Now when your computer starts this time instead of just going to windows, it will look at the CD ROM drive and see there is a CD waiting to be booted from.

11) You’ll be asked to press ANY key to continue to boot from the CD (I was anyway). Press any key to continue.

12) Windows will now load a few drivers this will take a few minutes.

13) Put the kettle on and brew up.

14) You will now be presented with 3 options:-

“To Setup Windows XP now, Press ENTER”

“To repair a windows XP installation using recovery console press R”

“To quit setup without installing Windows XP press F3”

Forget the last two its number one we want.

15) Press ENTER

16) Read the license agreement if you want and then press F8 to continue

17) Now you should see the way in which your drive is partitioned. What you have to do is delete all the partitions. This will also delete the DATA. Select the partition and press D.

18) Because you deleted your partitions you now you have to create one. You can create up to (I think) 4 partitions.

19) To create a partition Press C

****20) If you want to create say 4 partitions on your 40 GB drive…Enter 10000 next to where it says “Create partition of size (in MB)”

Do this a further 3 times…****

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…