How do I rename a drive

rawprawn 16:01 14 Mar 03

I have some drives that I need to rename EG D: to C: & the other way round. Also I have an extra drive appeared since I reinstalled XP It seems to be a partition of my C: drive that IS FAT32. I need to get rid of it. Any help much appreciated.

jimv7 16:18 14 Mar 03

Go into control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management, right click on the drive in the lower window, chose 'Change drive letter and paths'.

rawprawn 16:58 14 Mar 03

Thanks jimv7 I will give it a go. You may have saved my life

User-312386 17:05 14 Mar 03

hold on you can not delete Drive C: as this has your O/S on it

madboy33

rawprawn 08:53 15 Mar 03

My O/S is on D drve which is why I am trying to change the names because I can't get some progams to load (EG SP1) because it says I don't have enough space. I had t format after a crash & reload & I have ended up with C: which is the slave 8GB & D: 38 GB the main which has the O/S on it I( I disconnected the slave when I loaded XP) but when I try to load SP1 it tries to put it on C:

powerless 08:56 15 Mar 03

Relaod the o/s's onto the correct drives...

hoverman 10:21 15 Mar 03

I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgeable than me, but wouldn't it be right to say that any software you have added will still look for the drive number it was installed on and come with a "cannot find......" or similar message?

powerless 10:29 15 Mar 03

Yes if it has to look for a drive.

rawprawn 10:49 15 Mar 03

This may sound inept, but if I just changed the position of the drives round in the computer would that work? I don't really want to start all over again & reformat both drives & reload

powerless 10:55 15 Mar 03

No...

The actual drive letter is with the HDD that windows gives it when it formats the drive. So no you cannot.

Legolas 11:04 15 Mar 03

Have a look here rawprawn it might be what you are looking for. click here;EN-US;Q223188

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…