How do I remove WIN XP PRO and put new OS on?

BIGBAGGY 14:05 30 May 04

I am having problems with WINXP PRO. I want to remove it and pu it back on again or put WIN 98SE back on. I have an upgrade disc for WINXP PRO and a full install for WIN 98SE. How do I remove XP without losing any of my saved files.

Valvegrid 14:44 30 May 04

If you want to go back to win98se, it doesn't support the NTFS filing system that XP uses. So all your data needs to be backed up, then the win98 bootdisk is used to start the computer, then run the DELPART.exe application to remove the NTFS partition prior to using FDISK. I found this out last Friday at work when I wanted to win98se on a computer that had previously had a copy of windows NT.

The DELPART.exe can be downloaded from here: click here

Valvegrid 14:49 30 May 04

BTW, you should be able to reformat the primary partition into FAT32, but the extended partition will be the problem, the where DELPART.exe comes into use.

Good luck.

ste_bla 14:54 30 May 04

Windows XP also supports Fat32 so it depends which one he went for he up upgraded...

BIGBAGGY 14:55 30 May 04

The disc is FAT 32 not NTFS. I dont want to Format I just want to remove it and replace. How do I get a DOS prompt? then I can remove WINDOWS and then install whichever? Or is this not right?

BIGBAGGY 14:55 30 May 04

The disc is FAT 32 not NTFS. I dont want to Format I just want to remove it and replace. How do I get a DOS prompt? then I can remove WINDOWS and then install whichever? Or is this not right?

VoG II 14:58 30 May 04

Why won't you follow Fruir Bat's advice in your other thread? click here

You don't need to re-install Windows. You have a corrupt account that you need to remove then re-create.

BIGBAGGY 15:06 30 May 04

The reason I didnt foloow it is I didnt understand it. How do I know if I have Admin privelige? I thought it would be a lot easier just to reinstal it.

VoG II 15:15 30 May 04

Well, if you set the accounts up I would have thought that you would know which have admin privileges. Anyway there is a way round this.

Start in Safe Mode. To do this restart and keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen appears. Select Safe Mode from the menu.

On the Welcome Screen you should now see an account called "Administrator". Log on to that account. Start, Control Panel, User Accounts and delete the corrupt account. Then create a new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…