How do I remove and replace a cd rom drive

Nuneatonian 21:47 30 Apr 06

Hi
My cd rom drive has completely packed up and I need to replace it. How do I take it the old one out and replace it with a new one? I have just about managed to put a memory stick in before, is it as easy as this?

Help!!
Nuneatonian

Tim1964 22:38 30 Apr 06

It took me longer to take the case off!

With the case removed you will see a flat 40(or 80) wire cable, a 4 pin power and possibly an audio (small 2 wire) cable. Pull these out of the drive, undo the 4 screws holding the drive to the case and reverse the steps to re-install. Windows will detect the new drive on reboot.

Job done.

Pamy 22:46 30 Apr 06

there are also "jumpers" at the back of the drive. Make sure they are set as Master or Slave the same as the drive you remove

spuds 22:53 30 Apr 06

"jumpers" on cd-rom?.

Strawballs 23:06 30 Apr 06

With the price of DVD RW drives I assume that you are going for more than a CD Rom and yes it is very easy to do

Pamy 23:09 30 Apr 06

spuds, yes

Pamy 08:15 01 May 06

The following info may be of interest. MASTER, SLAVE, C/S AND IDE INTERFACE. The 948E may be jumpered as Master, Slave, or for Chip Select. The jumper positions are labeled on the back of most drives. I usually jumper a CD-ROM drive as master and connect it to the Secondary IDE interface on the motherboard. You would jumper it as a Slave if a faster drive is also connected on the same cable to the Secondary IDE Interface (however, it is usually left as a Master if a Zip drive is on the same cable). If you are consistent from installation to installation, you will know how a drive is normally jumpered without poking around with a flashlight months after a drive is physically installed. On my test computer, the 948E moves 104 MBytes in 34 seconds jumpered as a Master and moves the same data in 36 seconds jumpered as a Slave, with no other drives on the Secondary IDE interface. I have yet to jumper a CD-ROM as chip select, but some motherboards/computers may require it. UDMA 66 drives use chip select. If you connect the CD-ROM as a Slave to the same cable as your primary hard disk jumpered as a Master with a slave present), which is certainly possible, but a last resort, it may slow-down your hard disk and will slow down CD-ROM to hard disk transfers very noticeably. Benchmarks with the 948E show that it takes about seven times longer to move 104 MBytes of data from a CD-ROM on the Primary IDE interface to a hard disk on the same interface as it does to transfer the data from a 948E on the Secondary IDE Interface to a hard disk on the Primary IDE Interface.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 06 May 06

How to fit a CD/DVD Drive
click here

How to install a front loading drive (with pictures)
click here

Nuneatonian 19:16 11 Aug 06

Hi all
I know its been a while since my post but I would like to let you know I have now put a new cd rom drive into my computer. It was easier than I thought.
It works a treat.
Thank you for all your help

Regards
Nuneatonian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…