How Do I Remove PUP.Optional.Conduit.A

RegScriv 10:39 04 Jun 14

Can anyone help me remove the PUP.Opional.Conduit.A. Malwarebytes removes it but it returns when the computer is restarted. I can't find it in regedit. Malwarebytes identifies it a being in C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences but this is a file and the PUP isn't visible. Can anyone help.

john bunyan 11:04 04 Jun 14

Have a read here

remove Conduit a

spuds 12:23 04 Jun 14

You could try ADWCleaner, which will find the offending object, but whether it will remove completely, you will need to try and see. I have used this programme with partial success on a problem PUP. ASWCleaner click here

RegScriv 13:24 04 Jun 14

Well, that seems to have done it. Two restarts & checks with Malwarebytes shows me clear. Downloaded ADW & ran it, ran JWR, cleared user data in Chrome and reset IE, so far so good. Thanks everyone for your help.

Interestingly, I caught this virus when downloading video converter tools. I took the precaution of setting a System Restore first. In using the System Restore it didn't get rid of the Consuit.A malware.

I have a Macrium image prior to the problem but thanks to you guys I didn't need to use it.

iscanut 15:05 04 Jun 14

Conduit is a common pest. I have had it twice over past couple of months and Malwarebytes got rid of it. You are not alone !

Woolwell 15:27 04 Jun 14

When downloading you have to double check that you have unticked some boxes and only get the tools that you want. i never run direct from a download instead I save it and scan it first.

RegScriv 11:46 05 Jun 14

Interesting tip Woolwell. Presumably you save it in downloads. What do you use to scan it with?

RegScriv 15:45 06 Jun 14

I have the Malwarebytes Free so it wouldn't have jumped in the way your Pro version did. I have Norton Internet Security which didn't pick up on the Conduit.A as I would have expected, especially since it is a known threat. From your experience I'm tempted to buy the Pro version of Malwarebytes

BellaWood 04:52 27 Aug 14

When encounter PUP.Opional.Conduit.A and your Google Chrome is hijacked, you can follow the steps below to repair the browser: Open Chrome, click 3-bars and click Tools. Click “Extensions” and choose the unwanted extensions and click the trash box ext to it to remove it.

Then click Settings on the left, you will see Set pages under On startup.

Click Set pages and you will see “Add a new page” and “Use current pages”.

Type a URL you like to add a new page or click “Use current pages” and select a website you like and set it as your startup page. Remove the unwanted one by clicking X icon next to it.

Under Search, click on Manage search engines. Remove the malicious one and select any search engine you like as your default one. Then click Done.

BillSers 08:35 27 Aug 14

I use Unchecky which works in the background and unchecks those pesky ticks that no one wants when downloading software click here

john bunyan 14:50 17 Nov 14

RegScriv

First see if it is in "Programmes and features", then uninstall it. Then download and run ADWCleaner from

Bleeping Computer

Let it run (takes a while to scan) - accept recommendations on re start.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5