how do I remove outlook express from my xp system?

cassiusclay 18:51 27 Nov 04

Can I safely remove Outlook express from my system?..... can't I just use my isp provided webmail service?

VoG II 18:56 27 Nov 04

click here

But why not just leave it and use your webmail?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:34 27 Nov 04

I use Outlook and my ISP mail, so don't need OE. But I would not remove the software, instead just delete the shortcuts in your Program lists and on your desktop, then forget about it. Never know you may decide you want it later and u can restore the shortcuts.

QuickHare 19:48 27 Nov 04

Outlook Express is packaged with Internet Explorer, and thus to remove one may require the removal of the other (in versions 5.5 and upwards). Windows XP home and Pro come with Internet Explorer and Outlook Express installed and these cannot be removed without ripping half the system apart or with great difficulty.

The best advice is to ignore Outlook Express, delete all shortcuts on the Desktop, Quick Launch bar and Start Menu, then forget it, as JaßîsFaß ˜ states.

Webmail services use Internet Explorer, not Outlook Express, so if you're happy to use this instead, then use it. Forget Outlook Express. It won't harm your computer being on there.

Just remember to open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, the Programs tab, and select items other than Outlook Express for all of the lists on this page.

Dorsai 19:57 27 Nov 04

It can be done. I have Xp home, and no outlook.

Control panel>Add or remove programs>Add or remove windows components..

scroll down a bit, and untick outlook express.

Then follow the prompts.

For me, it's gone, no problem.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 20:00 27 Nov 04

As Dorsai mentions I am sure it can be done without causing any other programs to have errors, but I would ask why remove software if it can easily be ignored. I would recommend you simply delete the shortcuts, ignore it, unless you desperately need to clear some memory space.

QuickHare 20:10 27 Nov 04

I have explored the unticking method, but the description of this action is to remove it from the Start Menu, not remove the whole program. This can be seen by doing this, but highlighting "Outlook Express". The description (at the bottom somewhere) says it will remove the shortcut. It doesn't mention removing the program.

woodchip 20:36 27 Nov 04

Try moving the OE folder in Explorer to a different part of your drive to see the effects. If no Probs after a while delete it

beeuuem 21:38 27 Nov 04

To completely remove OE; if you really,really want to; follow the instructions from click here;EN-US;q263837 or click here

beeuuem 21:42 27 Nov 04

Sorry VoG™- failed to read your post properly :-)

And the first link, though not required, should be
click here

VoG II 21:43 27 Nov 04

Hang on! I already posted that a couple of hours ago!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…