How do I Remove Old Operating System Option

accosnr 12:07 03 Oct 04

I previously used Windows 98SE and have now installed Windows XP as a new installation and replacement for 98SE (or so I thought). However, on boot up I am given the option to select 98SE or XP. How do I remove this option from bootup as I only want to use XP (and should only have this as the operating system)?

Graham ® 12:22 03 Oct 04

If you select 98, does it boot into that? If so, you have created a dual boot system.

Eric10 12:26 03 Oct 04

Right-click My Computer and choose Properties then the Advanced tab. In "Startup and Recovery" click the Settings button. Either reduce the value in "Time to display list of operating systems" or remove the tick from the box to disable it altogether.

Dave Bowman 12:34 03 Oct 04

START>RUN, type 'msconfig' then ENTER
When the 'System Configuration' box comes up select the BOOT.INI tab.
This will give you the option/button to 'Check All Boot Paths'.
What it offers in a nutshell is the option to remove any 'dead' entries from the file, i.e. old OS entries. If you have a dead path it will offer to remove it. If you choose this option you will then have to re-boot as normal for it to take effect, follow the on-screen prompts.

As with all system configuration changes, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

D.

accosnr 16:12 03 Oct 04

Thanks to all for your contribution. Problem now resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…