How do I remove Office97 without installation CD

skolbot 22:33 15 May 05

I have a second-hand pc that came with Office97 preinstalled. I now want to remove this and replace with either Office 2000 or other. I have tried to uninstall Office using the Control Panel add/remove, but am asked for the installation cd, which I do not have. Can anyone advise how to remove Office with out the CD?

woodchip 22:39 15 May 05

It can be done but it would be painfully slow in the Registry as there are that many entries in registry

Eric10 22:56 15 May 05

Check this page click here and follow the link titled, 'Additional Information for Removing a "Run from CD" Installation' under 'On this page', 'MORE INFORMATION'. I think it may help.

roy 23:01 15 May 05

Have you tried to instal Office 2000 yet?

I may be wrong on this as I can't quite remember what happens when you start installing the newer programme but I know it detects Office 97 and I think it might give you the option of removing it.

As I said that might be wrong and if so all it does is to offer to make the new programme the default one.

Good luck.

woodchip 23:03 15 May 05

This is the Slow path, Write down the Office name just as it is in Add Remove Case Sensitive, then

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box XXXXX click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with XXXXX in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type XXXXX and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than XXXXX then reboot your computer

Where XXXXX is the MS OFFICE NAME AS YOU WRITE IT DOWN

skolbot 13:04 16 May 05

Thanks All I will try your suggestions and report back. Good point Roy I havn't tried installing Office2000.

sattman 13:16 16 May 05

I may be wrong as it long time since I did this but I am sure that you just install 2000 over the top. This detects the original and allows install of the newer version over the top keeping all your files and settings etc and the settings for MS outlook with emails if you were using outlook

feb 16:51 16 May 05

I think this is what you need

click here

roy 17:14 16 May 05

Hi,

I think I am with sattman on this.

What he says sounds about right to me.

skolbot 22:12 16 May 05

Thought that I would try the "easy" option first and try to install Office 2000. Apart from the odd blue screen all appears ok so thanks Roy & Sattman.

skolbot 22:14 16 May 05

Sorry, should have clarified the "blue screen" ref, this only occurred during the removal phase of the installation all was ok after I re-booted and re-commenced the installation. Skolbot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…