How do I remove My Network Places?

Pesala 20:11 24 May 03

This useless icon on my deskop does nothing. I don't use a network, but there doesn't seem to be any way to remove it.

Alternatively, could someone kindly explain what its purpose is, say for connecting to an FTP site. I currently use FTP Commander to update my website. Could it be used for that?

Piggy,Piggy 20:16 24 May 03

#Have u got XP, if so go onto Start menu, if it is in the right-hand panel right click and deselect Show on Desktop, if not I don't know

use TweakUI to remove it from the desktop.

mr gee 20:27 24 May 03

right click task bar /properties/ start menu/ customize/ advance---scroll down and untick it.

Pesala 20:39 24 May 03

Is there any use having My Network Places for the average Home User on a stand-alone PC?

mrdsgs 20:44 24 May 03

by definition- No!

"My network places" is for networks.

if you had a network you would find it a godsend!

mrdsgs

theres not much use if you dont have a network, download tweakUI , you can remove my network places from the desktop and do many more useful things with it.click here

cream. 20:50 24 May 03

Download windows configurator from here.
click here

It was especially built for 98 \ ME. Just click on the download, between 300k and 500k, on the left and pick which version you want. There is a box to tick if you want that annoying icon removed from your desktop.

Pesala 21:14 24 May 03

I already tried Tweak UI before, and recall that it could be used to remove the icon, but I wondered why it should be necessary to use special tools to remove it. After all, many users do not have a network.

cream. 21:30 24 May 03

Hi Pesala, I have not used this for a while so I have downloaded the latest version. If you pick the desktop option you will find a setting for hide "network neighborhood" icon from desktop.

Hope this is of help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes