How do I remove My Network Places?

Pesala 20:11 24 May 03

This useless icon on my deskop does nothing. I don't use a network, but there doesn't seem to be any way to remove it.

Alternatively, could someone kindly explain what its purpose is, say for connecting to an FTP site. I currently use FTP Commander to update my website. Could it be used for that?

Piggy,Piggy 20:16 24 May 03

#Have u got XP, if so go onto Start menu, if it is in the right-hand panel right click and deselect Show on Desktop, if not I don't know

use TweakUI to remove it from the desktop.

mr gee 20:27 24 May 03

right click task bar /properties/ start menu/ customize/ advance---scroll down and untick it.

Pesala 20:39 24 May 03

Is there any use having My Network Places for the average Home User on a stand-alone PC?

mrdsgs 20:44 24 May 03

by definition- No!

"My network places" is for networks.

if you had a network you would find it a godsend!

mrdsgs

theres not much use if you dont have a network, download tweakUI , you can remove my network places from the desktop and do many more useful things with it.click here

cream. 20:50 24 May 03

Download windows configurator from here.
click here

It was especially built for 98 \ ME. Just click on the download, between 300k and 500k, on the left and pick which version you want. There is a box to tick if you want that annoying icon removed from your desktop.

Pesala 21:14 24 May 03

I already tried Tweak UI before, and recall that it could be used to remove the icon, but I wondered why it should be necessary to use special tools to remove it. After all, many users do not have a network.

cream. 21:30 24 May 03

Hi Pesala, I have not used this for a while so I have downloaded the latest version. If you pick the desktop option you will find a setting for hide "network neighborhood" icon from desktop.

Hope this is of help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…