how do I reinstall Win98 SE

canard 20:48 04 Oct 04

I've done it with reformats but don't know how to start just reinstalling windows. Help much appreciated!

Djohn 20:54 04 Oct 04

98SE is a boot disk so it should spin up when inserted in the drive, if not reboot the PC with the CD in the drive after setting your CD drive as first boot device from the BIOS. j.

MAJ 20:56 04 Oct 04

If you have formatted the drive, just make sure your PC is set to boot from the CDROM drive, then put the Windows 98 disk in the drive and reboot your computer. Watch the screen for the "Press any key to boot from CD", press any key and away you go, canard.

canard 20:59 04 Oct 04

Djohn- the bios is a foreign land to me. Are you saying that I can put the disc in the drive and do it? If so at what point- when in DOS or Windows?

Djohn 21:02 04 Oct 04

If as MAJ says, the drive is already formated then just insert the CD and follow the guide from MAJ.

If you need to format the drive first, let us know.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 04 Oct 04

Clean install windows 98
click here

canard 21:04 04 Oct 04

Maj this sounds good. How do I make sure PC is set to boot from CDRom drive? I'm trying to install new windows over current which have increasing probs with the irreplaceable VMM32.VXD as MS says this is the solution of last resort [need a drinkie].

VoG II 21:08 04 Oct 04

First you need to enter the BIOS. This normally means pressing a key, or combination of keys, immediately after switch-on. A message to this effect usually flashes up on the screen when you switch on, such as "To enter setup press Del". Other common BIOS codes are listed at click here.

When the BIOS screen appears you will see a set of menu options. Look for one labelled Boot or Startup and select the item Boot Order, or First Boot; this will be set to HD0, HD1 or the serial number of your hard disc drive.

Change the setting to read CD, CD-Rom or the serial number of your CD/DVD-Rom drive, Save the Change and Exit the BIOS.

canard 21:15 04 Oct 04

Vog recognize To enter setup press Del. Am a DOS ninny -do I get the option to save or do I have to enter a bit of DOS code to do this also how do I exit BIOS? And is the next bit to put in the Win disc and pray?

Djohn 21:20 04 Oct 04

Once in the BIOS use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move around and highlight items. To enter into an option press the enter key to come out pres the escape key.

When you have finished doing the alterations hit the escape key twice then the "Y" key to save the change and the enter key to come out of BIOS.

VoG II 21:22 04 Oct 04

Depending on your BIOS there should be an option to Exit and Save Changes (or similar but it should be fairly obvious which one to choose).

Yes, then bung your Windows CD in the drive, restart and have a glass of your favourite tipple to hand. Not too much mind, as you will have to answer a few questions along the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…