//some 3rd party need geo

How do I reformat and then reinstall XP?

Jason-211945 20:00 18 Jan 04

I really need to reformat my hard drive (haven't been very good at housekeeping) and reinstall XP, Office and AOL, but I'll be jiggered if I can suss out how to do it!

Please help. I'm very frustrated now :(

steven_frost 20:03 18 Jan 04

if its a prebuilt system put the xp disk in before shutting down an reboot most likely it will be a rescue disk and take it back to factory settings

beeuuem 20:03 18 Jan 04

This tutorial will take you through the procedureclick here

Quiller. 20:04 18 Jan 04

Once you have backed up all your data and sure you have all your drivers;

Set the bios to first boot from cd rom.

Put your X\P cd in the cdrom and boot the machine up.

Just follow the prompts and pick format the drive as you go along.

bvw in bristol 20:19 18 Jan 04

After you format don't forget you may get infected with the Blaster virus when you connect to the internet.

click here

ventanas 21:27 18 Jan 04

To format your drive for XP Pro.
Make sure that the first boot drive is the CD-Rom. Insert your XP CD and restart. You should see briefly at the bottom of the screen the command Press any key to boot from CD. Hit the spacebar. The Windows setup screen will appear on a blue background and you will see files loading at the bottom of the screen. Allow this to run until complete. When prompted press enter to Set up XP. Press F8 to accept agreement. Press Esc to install a fresh copy of Windows as per the prompt. From the options at the bottom of screen press D to delete the partition and return to confirm, then press L to complete the deletion. At the next screen press C to create a new partition. Accept the default size. Press enter to continue setup. If asked choose a file system, Fat32 or NTFS. You drive will be reformatted and some files will be copied. Set up will initialize and the computer will restart. Ignore any further prompts to boot from CD. XP will install. During installation you will be asked for regional and keyboard settings etc. Make sure you answer correctly. When complete PC will restart. Again ignore prompt to boot from CD. When running remove CD. All done. Activate It.

Before you do anything download all the Windows Updates and save them to CD, Or at least the Blaster patch. Install them after you have completed the XP routine. As bvw has said, you risk getting Blaster if you connect to the internet without the relevant patch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…