How do I reformat Hard Drive?

neil_raj 11:10 01 Nov 04

HELP???

I want to install XP Pro with service packs 1 and 2. When I put the disk in and it checks the system it asks to choose either UPGRADE or NEW INSTALATION. I choose NEW INSTALATION and it shows the exsisting Hard Drive with 9 GIG USED, but it wont allow me to delete it. After I carry on with the instalation (50 minutes later) it instals the new disk BUT it just overlaps the old disk and STILL SHOWS 9 GIG USED.

I have tried going to COMMAND-PROMPT and typing format c: it asks to confirm deletion, I press "Y" then it tells me cannot delete because the VOLUME is in use.

There must be a dead simple way that someone can tell me how to delete the exsisting hard drive and install XP Pro on it.

I have the original 6 back-up disks (floppies) that i created when i installed XP a year back, can I use them in any way?

I thought putting the new disk in the CDROM drive would detect the old XP (as it does) then offer the chance to delete it ( it doesn't)..

Please advise!

Thanks..... Neil-Raj.

jimv7 11:17 01 Nov 04

Boot from the xp cd.

Press delete(most common) or which keys to enter the bios on start up(should tell you onscreen during start up which combination of keys to press) and change the boot sequence to cdrom as first boot device, restart with the xp cd in the cd/dvd drive and follow onscreen instructions.

Of course make sure that you have backed up any files you wish to keep.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…