How do I reduce the size of a photo file please?

Halmer 22:05 13 Jun 05

I tried to send a photo to the BBC picture of Britain competition but it was rejected because it exceeds the maximum size of 1.5MB by 0.2 MB.

I copied and cropped the photo using Kodak software thinking that it would reduce the file size by at least the required 0.2MB but unfortunately the file size has increased to 3.28MB for some reason!!

VoG II 22:07 13 Jun 05

Try IrfanView click here

Halmer 22:10 13 Jun 05

I've tried Irfanview tonight but can't seem to get the number of MBs down below 1.5MB.

sinbad1 22:27 13 Jun 05
  Simsy 22:27 13 Jun 05

that it's a jpeg and that when you cropped the photo and saved it it defaulted to a lower compresssion ratio than the original...

say the original was saved at 60% compression, when you saved the cropped version it was saved at 1% compression.

It's just a shot in the dark, and I'm not certain myself that my reasoning makes sense... but it might be worth trying to do it again chcking the compression ratio...

It's usually somewhere within the "options" that appears when saving a jpeg.

Apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree!!

Regards,

Simsy

kspatto 22:28 13 Jun 05

if you have a copy of paint shop pro you can opt to save as a jpeg there is then a nifty optimizer in the options menu on the save as screen this shows the image and also the amount of compression

patto

Mr Beeline 22:31 13 Jun 05

You could try Picasa2, a free utility available from Google. This gives you a one click way to re-size for emailing. You have a certain amount of control over the resolution from the pictures "properties".

Enjoy...

PS. Also a cracking way to organise your photos.

Joe R 22:38 13 Jun 05

Halmer,

have you got a photo-editor, which will allow you to reduce the resolution, by between 15 to 20%, as this should take you below the 1.5Mb.?

Stuartli 01:03 14 Jun 05

Have you tried right clicking the pic file>Send To>Mail Recipient?

Windows XP should then provide a menu to resize the file to a smaller file size of your choice.

Stuartli 01:07 14 Jun 05

Apart from the superb Irfanview, there's also an excellent free pix file(s) resizer utility called PixResizer from:

click here

Very neat, very efficient and does what it says on the tin...:-)

john-231489 10:00 14 Jun 05

Another way is to save the file to by document or my picture in windows XP. Highlight it, right click and select picture resize from the drop down box. You can then make it as small as you like. That is provided you are using XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced