How do I reduce the size of a PDF?

catherine2008 16:50 21 Jul 09

I need to reduce the size of a PDF file from 25Mb down to under 7Mb. Any ideas? I'd rather not download any software to do it.

Thanks in advance....

Technotiger 17:37 21 Jul 09

I hope this helps ...

click here

DieSse 18:05 21 Jul 09

Technotigers link is excellent - but if you have an existing PDF and want to shrink it dramatically without any "extra" software - it ain't possible.

What software did you produce the pdf with? - and what other pdf software have you got?

I make my pdfs with (free) Primo pdf maker, and that allows you to specify various parameters when you create the file.

All that being said - 25MB to under 7MB is an awfully big change - why do you need to do it?

I just did a quick test like this - took a single page pdf at around 2MB, displayed it on the screen (the whole of it) and did a screen grab. Result a jpg at around 25% the file size (a bit more shrinkage than you are asking for). Does that do what you need? - it will need a screen grabber though.

catherine2008 18:19 21 Jul 09

Thanks DieSse, I made a brochure on a Mac and saved it as a PDF. I need to reduce the size so I can email it.

ambra4 18:24 21 Jul 09
  Fingees 18:27 21 Jul 09

Why not Email; it a few pages at a time?

Just a thought.

interzone55 20:07 21 Jul 09

I know next to nothing about Macs, so this is only a guess.

How did you create the PDF? Did the software offer some options?

My software has a few basic options - pre-press, print, e-book, screen, these drop certain quality settings to produce smaller file sizes...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac