How do I reduce the amount of processes?

ivesy 21:28 25 Feb 04

I think the reason why my PC runs slow is because the of the amount of processes I have when I look in the task manager. I know I need some of them but surely NOT 32!. Does anyone know how I can (if possible) reduce them in lamens terms! All help would be appreciated!

Diodorus Siculus 21:35 25 Feb 04

have a look at click here and his review of WinXP / 2k processes.

oglemire 21:37 25 Feb 04

this link will give you the infomation you need

click here

the chances are you need most of them. maybe you should increase your resources.

Diodorus Siculus 21:37 25 Feb 04
  Diodorus Siculus 21:39 25 Feb 04

At the risk of disagreeing with oglemire, chances are that you need very few of them in fact.

JIM 21:42 25 Feb 04

i have 37 running when online,but also depends on your system spec?

Would check out also whats running anyway as you may have some spyware/malware/hijacked ect.unknowingly on your system.

oglemire 21:57 25 Feb 04

I also have 37 ... all are needed. some are used by Windows such as svchost , system idle process some are applications iexplore psfree.exe. I dont really want shit loads of popups so i will keep the latter for instance.

you could always start by killing the process iexplore.exe .. maybe that one is not needed perhaps... i've never quite worked out what that one does... :O

powerless 22:08 25 Feb 04

If you END PROCESS you won't see this.

ivesy 12:53 26 Feb 04

Thanks for all the help. After checking on the WINTASK 4 site I see I have SVCHOST.EXE (5 times on task manager) and ISASS.EXE it appears these are viruses? I've tried deleting the files but all I get is "cannot delete file SVCHOST access is denied" I have Norton 2003 and Mcaffee Firewall. Any ideas how I can get rid of these programs?

Jester2K 13:15 26 Feb 04

SVCHOST.EXE - isn't neccessarily a virus.click here SCVHOST - Yes , SVCHOST - no

ISASS.EXE - check it starts with an I and not an L -

I = Trojan (NAV should detect it) click here

L = click here

JIM 13:16 26 Feb 04

the ISASS.EXE is not (L)= lsass.exe which is a windows system file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…