How do I record Vinyl (12"+45rpm) to MPEG or WMA?

Steve-234439 19:57 06 Jun 03

Hi,

I am running windows XP with Windows Media Player (v9). I would like to be able to transfer my record collection onto my computer.

I have tried connecting to the MIC socket and using 'Sound Recorder' but couldn't get any sound to come out/Sound Recorder to start recording. I'm not sure what kbits/kHz etc to use.
Also Sound Recorder seems to only give 60 secs of recording time.

Please help!!!!

Thanks

Steve.

alB 20:19 06 Jun 03

Here's website that gives a good idea how to do it, I noticed in PC World last week there are quite a few programmes available to do a "professional" job, removing crackles, hiss etc. might be worth considering one of them....alB click here

Patr100 20:24 06 Jun 03

There's loads of earlier threads on recording vinyl/ LP to PC so a search should bring a few up to start.

BooST 20:26 06 Jun 03

Hi ya,
What you need to do is make up a lead that goes from your stereo headphone socket to the mic socket on you pc.
The stereo functions as the sound balancer so you can output the best possible sound and believe me time and patience goes a long way(dont turn the volume up high or it distorts at the other end).
You then need to find yourself a copy of AUDACITY which is a trial program I found on a Pc advisor disk of try and find it on the net.
You can set it up so you press play on the record deck then record on audacity and it will show you the wave file as it plays.
When the wave file stops then press stop on audacity.
Goto file and save as Mp3 file or wave file which can then be played by windows media player.
You do realise by doing this is also a copywrite law !!

Good luck

BooST

powertool 20:26 06 Jun 03

You need to use your line-in socket rather than your mic-in. Take the line out from your hi-fi [the signal straight from the record deck cartridge won't be strong enough].

You can get free audio-capturing recording software from click here.

Double click on the loudspeaker icon on your tray and select record, line-in - then you are ready to go!

Happy recording!

pj123 21:36 06 Jun 03

Apart from a cable from your headphone socket of the player (or line out if you have one) to the line in on your sound card check out this previous thread click here

BillEmm 21:36 06 Jun 03

costs a bit of the 'ol cash.
I have tried many of the Freeware progs - even fairly good Shareware ones, but they all have limitations and slightly differing functions. This means you need to have three or four of them on your system to get the whole job done.
My early efforts went very well using Easy CD Creator - it has all the facilities needed but its noise 'cleaning' can be a bit of trial and error. (Nero can also be used but I found it less useful than ECDC).
I now use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab DeLuxe V3.0(must be DL 3.0 - earlier version are not good). Its not for purists but it gets the job done in all respects with ease. Should be able to pick it up for about 20 GBP.
If you have your record deck connected to an amplifier then you just need to take the audio out from the amp and connect it directly into the Line in jack on your PC audio card.
In my case I have a transportable deck which I connect to the PC via a pre-amp. These handy items boost the signal just enough for the purpose without having to worry about distortion. Pre-amps also cost about 20 GBP and the one I have came from Maplins.
A word of caution: make sure the audio cable is of a good length as you do not want to put the record deck or the amplifier (or pre-amp) close to the PC or the monitor. About 6 feet away is quite adequate. Also make sure the deck is earthed.

A thought or two worthy of note, perhaps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…