How do I re-format my Hard drive?

toon 18:43 24 Mar 04

As the title says how?
I am running XP and have decided to re-format rather than use the system restore.
This will clear everythig and let me do a new install rather than upgrade or fix.

Thanks toon

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:56 24 Mar 04

click here

excellent walk-through site.

billyliv 19:19 24 Mar 04

Hi, Xp has its own formatting tool. Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. Right click on the drive you want to format and click format. As easy as that. Cheers, Bill

bremner 19:36 24 Mar 04

Will XP allow a format of the drive it is installed on?

ade.h 19:43 24 Mar 04

Glad I saw this post - I've got an old drive that doesn't boot, so isn't recognised properly in BIOS if it's the master, but needs to be wiped just to be safe.

To answer Bremner's query, I would guess that's impossible, as formatting will completely wipe the disk.

billyliv 20:12 24 Mar 04

Hi, Click format, It will wipe clean. Cheers, Bill

Craigmave 21:00 24 Mar 04

go into the BIOS, check startup from CD-ROM then click clean install. format to NTFS file system, make sure that you back up all your important bits though.

interzone55 21:11 24 Mar 04

Windows won't commit suicide, therefore won't format the drive it's installed on. The only way to format the windows drive is through DOS (using a boot floppy) or rom the Windows CD by performing a clean install.

woodchip 21:14 24 Mar 04

If you run the Restore disc it's the same as a format

pj123 21:19 24 Mar 04

Also be aware that just formatting your hard drive and re-installing Windows is not the only thing you need. You will need your Motherboard CD, all your driver CDs (graphics, printer, sound, modem, scanner etc...) plus your application CDs like Word, Excel etc.. Not something to be taken lightly.

ricpat 21:20 24 Mar 04

If you run restore you will only reload the operatig system if you format the haradrive you remove all any old files ect that have been left on your hard drive over the years which means you will start with a clean operating system .Remember to update all your drivers if possible

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…