How Do I Preserve Data during OS re-install

SupaSteph64 14:22 06 Sep 03

I have an AMD 700 duron based pc with two HDD. A 4Gb C: drive with Windows 98se and various programs installed, and a 20Gb D: drive for data storage. Both are virtually full. I need to make the 20Gb drive my C: and then buy a 120Gb drive for storage. The D: drive is often removed and put into a different machine via a caddy, so I can temporarily store the data somewhere. What I want to be able to do is a completley fresh install of Windows on the 20Gb drive but how do I preserve ALL my personal stuff like passwords, settings, and most importantly e-mails with their content and dates intact and my entire address book. Please someone help me with this problem, I would be most grateful.
Cheers, Garry.

harry_b 15:33 06 Sep 03

never used this but worth looking at

click here

rawprawn 16:05 06 Sep 03

Why don't you buy the 120 gb, install it as D drive, transfer all your data accross. Then completely clean & reinstall your C drive, put the D drve back & transfer the data back or rename the drives.& make C the slave,

SupaSteph64 20:59 06 Sep 03

Thanx harry_b. Where do I get Migration? I can't find it anywhere.

Great idea rawprawn, but how do I actually transfer the e-mails and personal data from the C: drive to CD-R. I tried to do this once before using the import/export utility in Outlook (not express) but it seemed very long winded setting up which fields to use etc and I didn't get all the e-mail content as it was when on the origonal drive. Does anyone know of a wizard type utility that does all this for you?

Cheers Guys, Garry.

harry_b 23:53 06 Sep 03
  rawprawn 15:08 07 Sep 03

First there is a free backup utility for Outlook, I have one & I think it came from Microsoft. If you feed Outlook back up into google I'm sure you will find it. Then you can back it all up to your D rdrive before you start. You don't need to back up to a cd, use your second HDD to backup to, then move it all over.

pj123 16:00 07 Sep 03

Before you start, make sure that your computer can accept a 120gb hard drive. If it does, here is the way I would do it. (will take a while).

I assume that "ALL my personal stuff like passwords, settings, and most importantly e-mails with their content and dates intact and my entire address book" are all on the C: Drive?. If so, disconnect both your existing hard drives and connect the 120gb as the Master, switch on and go into the BIOS and make sure it is detected. Then, using a boot disk (obtainable from click here if you don't have one) boot to DOS. Do an FDISK and partition the 120gb into 1 @ 20gb and 1 @ 100gb. Now format each partition and when done shut down and put your 4gb drive back in as the Master and make your 120gb drive a slave. Make sure the BIOS detects both drives.

Boot into windows and you should now have C: D: and E: hard drives. Go to Start, Run and type in xcopy c:\*.* /e/h/k/r/c d: and press Enter.

When that has finished, shut down and take out the 4gb drive and make the 120gb Master and connect up your 20gb drive as a slave. Switch on and again check the BIOS to detect the disks.

Save the settings and exit. When you get to windows you should now have C: (the 20gb partition on the 120gb hard drive), D: (your original 20gb hard drive) and E: (the remaining 100gb of the 120gb hard drive). Any other drives you have like CDs will be F: onwards. If you think this is too complicated email me your phone number and I will talk you through it.

R4 16:40 07 Sep 03

You could set your 120Gb drive to Master and your system 20Gb drive to slave and use Drive copy. this will format your new drive and copy all of the 20Gb drive to it.

See:-click here

SupaSteph64 17:18 07 Sep 03

Thanx 4 the last 2 posts, but it seems that these would be copying my entire C: contents 'as is'. The main point here is that I want to do a completely fresh install of Windows to cure lots of ills as well as get a bigger HDD, but still just hang onto my e-mail data.

I've had a look for rawprawn's FREE backup utility and can't find it. I'm not having much luck here.

Any more with good ideas please?

Thanx, Garry.

Diemmess 18:10 07 Sep 03

Having helped a friend yesterday with a similar OS and using 98SE myself as are in for a long haul if you (sensibly) don't wish to replicate the OS and instead want a fresh installation on your 20Gb HD as a new C:
Nothing wrong, but be prepared for several hours on and off to reach what you want.

!) The boring bit ......... Mount the new BIG one somehow, it really doesn't matter for this stage, rob your CD of its data cable and power cable for the moment, and use them. It can dangle anywhere it won't be knocked, but do set the jumper to slave ................... Now reboot and use your setup floppy and at A:> FDISK....... "Enable Large disk support?" <Y> .............. Then choose option 5 to change to your new 120. This is most important to be absolutely sure you have selected the right disk..........There is possibly a limit in Win98 to the recognised size of the disk you can have in which case you will have to partition it into say 2 X 60GB.

The whole process of FDISK and FORMATting is well described in many threads, but count on around 1.5 hrs just to format the huge new disk!

3) Reboot into Windows, check that everything is showing - your last chance to rescue any stuff.
Copy whatever you need from any data on the small C: and D: ........ Explorer files as well to the new drive (E:?)for the present. ........Passwords are a problem, you will need more advice on this, but you are going to have to re-install all applications if you start with a fresh installation of W98SE .

4) when you are "happy", shut down, remove the old C:(4Gb)drive altogether. Make the old D (20GB) primary master and perhaps make your new Big HD the secondary master, and re-connect your CDROM. Check all is well with another boot into Windows if you are worried!

5) once more boot from the Floppy, choose "with Hard disk support" and this time FORMAT C:.........This will wipe your 20Gb drive completely and at the end you are ready to install the shiny new version of W98SE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…