How do I plumb this CD rewriter in??

pickle factory 18:21 28 Dec 03

Help!! I am a pc beginner and I have a new cd writer to add to my pc. I want to keep my existing cd reader, which, at present is on the primary IDE with my hard drive. My floppy is on it's own on the secondary with an IDC34 floppy cable ribbon. The instructions in my new CDR recommend transferring existing CD to secondary (As master) along with new CDR (As slave). My problem is that the floppy cable can only support one more drive on secondary, but I would need one for each CD drive as well as the floppy (Both CD drives have similar IDC type connections). Tried PC world for cable to support 2 more drives, but they don't stock one. Am I missing something obvious? It can't be that difficult can it? Is there another method? Please help!!

Rennaissance 18:32 28 Dec 03

are you sure the floppy is on ide. Most floppys come with their own port on the mother board, i forget what that port is, But if so then it does not really matter if the drives are on which channel. Just put the new drive on secondary ide as master and leave the old one where it is.

Big Elf 18:39 28 Dec 03

Normally the floppy is on its own connector and doesn't use the 'normal' IDE channel that hard drives and CD/DVDs use and has a different connector cable. It sounds as though you need another Hard Drive connector cable which will fit into a slot somewhere near the one that your hard drive is connected to.

You would connect your CD and CD writer to this second channel. You need to set the jumpers on the back of 1 CD to be a master and the other as a slave. Hopefully a diagram for the correct setting will be printed on a sticker on the drives or in the instructions. A jumper is a small piece of plastic that connects 2 of the smallest pins on the back of the unit together.

pickle factory 18:40 28 Dec 03

Basic problem might be that I know bugger all. Dead right about floppy being on it's own port (I thought that was secondary IDE Derrrrrr!) Stupid question, but could the empty port right next to the primary in use, be the secondary?

Quiller. 18:49 28 Dec 03

The IDC34 floppy cable ribbon will not fit on your cdrw drive. This is only for floppy drives. The 34 refers to the number of pins on the connector of the ribbon cable. Hard drives, cdroms, cdrw's, dvd roms and dvd writers all use a 40pin cable.

All motherboards should have 2 IDE connectors on the motherboard. A ribbon cable slots in to them and this in turn has two connectors ( usually ). This means the two IDE ribbon cables with the capability to run two devices off each cable. 2 X 2 = 4 devices.

The 34 pin floppy cable is completley separate.

Have you looked inside your computer to see if there is a spare 40 pin connector on any of the wider IDE ribbon cables? If there is, then you can attach the cdrw to this. Remember that the red stripe on the ribbon cable and the red wire on the power connector should be facing each other.

If you connect them and boot up and it is not recognized, then it would probably be just a simple matter of ajusting the jumper in the middle of the row of connectors at the back of the cdrw drive.

IDE connectors on a motherboard, look at the bottom at the identical blue sockets. These vary in position on some motherboards.

click here

Quiller. 18:54 28 Dec 03

An IDE ribbon cable.
click here

It is all one length. The end connector goes into the motherboard, while the two other connectors go into the devices. i.e. hard drive, cdrw etc.

You should have two of these cables inside the machine.

minter 19:39 28 Dec 03

As already stated the floppy has its own cable and connection.

The second socket you found next to the Primary IDE socket will be the Secondary IDE socket.

The simplest way to get your CD-RW in is to purchase an IDE cable and connect your new CD-RW to the Secondary socket.

You should really have your HD on IDE 1. Then, using the new cable connect your CD-RW (set as master) connected to the end connector on the cable, and the CD rom (set as slave) on the middle connector on the same cable.

Try the first way - it will work o.k.

Didn't you get an IDE cable with your drive, if you did use it.

Don't forget - if you want to use the CD-RWs sound capability you must connect the wires you will have got with it to the back of the writer and insert the other end to the auxillary sound socket on your motherboard.

pickle factory 19:58 28 Dec 03

Thanks folks, all great advice so far.
I've stuck it all in and pc now recognises 2 cd drives present, however, neither of them now recognise a disc inside (Even my original which was OK). Do I need to reconfigure anything?

pickle factory 21:20 28 Dec 03

Thanks folks.
Turned out dodgy lead (Dodgier fitter). All superb help and advice, even a pc cabbage like me eventually got it right. All up and AOK. Cheers for your patience, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…