How do I perform a zero format on my drive>

beastieboy 12:31 06 Jun 03

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how do I perform a zero format on my master drive? I am running Win XP Pro

Janusz

beeuuem 12:41 06 Jun 03

This will give information on the procedureclick here. As the article says, this isn't really needed on modern drives. If you really want to do it ensure that you get the utility from the mmanufacturer of the HDD you want to format.

beeuuem 12:43 06 Jun 03

Sorry about my stutter,, 'mmannfacturer'!!!

beastieboy 10:25 14 Jun 03

Any other suggestions, I have a master which I want to 0-format. I want to know how to do it from reboot maybe?

Cheers.

beastieboy 10:27 14 Jun 03

I have one of the 40Gb Maxtor drives - forgot specs, but as far as I remember it's 7200rpm and one of the newer ones, brought in last 3 months

The Sack 10:39 14 Jun 03

A zero fill isn?t the same as a low level format, all a zero fill does is er, fill the drive with zeros which effectively sets the drive back to an "as new" state, it is better than a format if you want to clear the drive as a format doesn?t actually delete anything. It can also recover sectors that Windows marks as bad that in reality are fine.

Maxtor Powermax: click here

Maxtor Maxblast: click here

beastieboy 10:57 14 Jun 03

Which one do I use, and do you know how to go about using it?

How long will it take on a 40Gb drive with 512 DDRA, and a Athlon 2200+

Janusz

P.S. Cheers!

woodchip 11:00 14 Jun 03

Why do you want to do it, is it worth the risk of destroying the drive

beastieboy 11:05 14 Jun 03

Well, had bugbear on and as it embeds itself into MBR and other nasty places thought this would be best option.

Janusz

VoG® 11:06 14 Jun 03

To make sure that you are clear of bugbear click here

woodchip 11:09 14 Jun 03

All you need to do if you have formatted the drive is start with a Win98 floppy startup disc and at the A:\> prompt type FDISK/MBR and it will rewrite the MBR PS you can also do this if you have info on the Drive it will not do anything to your files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…