How do I partition my hard drive

johnincrete 14:32 15 Dec 09

In the post concerning backups, the general concensus appears that I should partition my hard drive into "system" and "documents".
How do I do this?
What goes in "system"?

gengiscant 14:58 15 Dec 09

You can use this which is free pretty easy to use:click here

What goes in system thats nearly everything,your operating system and programs you have installed etc, and what goes in your documents partition is your personal stuff, pictures, music, documents, films etc.

MAT ALAN 15:44 15 Dec 09

there are for's and against partitioning a HDD those who like things neat and tidy under different labels for all their stuff and those who just put all their diferent files in just that, different files!!
The only issue you have and partitioning your HDD is not going to help is if your HDD suffers catastrophic failure so don't make the mistake that putting your files in another partition are safe.
If you want to keep your files safe add another HDD either internel or external...

johnincrete 05:41 16 Dec 09

It's not to be tidy but to assist backing up.
The system partition would only need infrequent backups whereas the constantly updated data partition would need daily backups.

I am not clear about what to do with existing system & data while the disk is partitioned.
Do I have to move it to another disk, partition and then move it back? Would Windows XP object to being moved while it is running?

MAT ALAN 08:05 16 Dec 09

It's not to be tidy but to assist backing up.

Then putting it on the SAME drive is NOT the way to go as i explained before if the HDD fails your backups are useless.
i would still consider the other tack of a second HDD or removable media such as disc.

gengiscant 10:52 16 Dec 09

"I am not clear about what to do with existing system & data while the disk is partitioned"
You will not be moving XP, you will just be creating another partition to put your docs music etc on.
Your original partition Will have your "system" or XP and programs on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017