How do I Partition my hard-drive?

choppers 21:49 19 Oct 08

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1718 laptop with a 112GB hard disk. The problem is everytime I save anything it saves onto the same drive as the programmes. Shouldn't I have a partition so programmes are kept on one part and data (documents, photos etc)on a separate part? If so, how do I set that up? Thanks.

choppers 21:58 19 Oct 08

By the way it runs on Vista Home Basic

mocha 23:17 19 Oct 08

Hi choppers,

Partitioning of the hard drive is usually done when you install Windows. In your case you will have to use a partition manager, there are many programs that will do this for you click here I dont know of any Freeware programs that will do this for you. So you will need to buy one.

Windows does not have a built in partition manager.

mgmcc 23:20 19 Oct 08

If you go into Disk Management ("Start > Run", type DISKMGMT.MSC and click OK), right click your "C" drive and select the option to shrink the volume, this will reduce the size of "C" drive and create "Unallocated Space" which you can then use to create a new partition and format it.

It isn't *necessary* to save your data in a separate partition. Possibly a better solution would be to have a backup copy of all of your data in an external USB drive.

mgmcc 23:22 19 Oct 08

It *CAN* be done in Vista.

mocha 23:24 19 Oct 08

Hi choppers,

Here is a Freebie click here I dont know how good it is.

Mocha.

mocha 23:30 19 Oct 08

Hi mgmcc,

Thanks for the info, must admit got vista myself but didn't know it had a partitioning tool.

DippyGirl 14:31 20 Oct 08

Vista's partition re-size tool can be hit and miss depending on where your in use system files (eg page files) are - they cant be moved so can limit how much the current partition can shrink
I used GParted click here worked a treat
Download - Burn LiveCD - Reboot from it - Create partitions - Reboot Vista

scotty 17:15 20 Oct 08

I find GParted an excellent way to handle partitioning but I was advised to use Vista's own tools for partition resizing. This comment relates to Vista, not other versions of Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017