How do I open .TMP folder.

1jimbo 21:13 21 Aug 06

I lost some photos some time ago. With the help of Easy Undelete I found some old backup files which I think may have them in it. Unfortunately the folder has been renamed ---.tmp, and I am unable to open it with any programs. I have tried renaming the extension without success, although Word will open it as code. Please help.

GaT7 21:56 21 Aug 06

Try Drive Rescue instead click here. G

Diversion 23:33 21 Aug 06

click here This Software may be helpful, it's an image finder.

johnnyrocker 00:10 22 Aug 06

click here

johnny.

1jimbo 17:30 22 Aug 06

Thanks for the info. I should have said that I'm not looking for another deleted files finder as the program mentioned performed very well. The problem was that some of the files it found were already overwritten or corrupted as I only noticed the missing photos after I had already downloaded new items. I remembered some of the old file names and put them into search, which pointed to an old backup that I had deleted. I have rescued 3 of these all about 5MB, which is about the size of some of my photo albums. These are the .tmp folders I am now trying to open. I did try your extension finder johnny, which I will keep handy. Good link.

Diversion 18:58 22 Aug 06

Is there any chance that you could do a system restore, retrieve the lost photo's the undo the system restore which would bring your computer back to the present day. I've tried that in the past and it worked, I took it back 14 months to retrieve photo's too. It may work for you. Good luck.

1jimbo 17:38 23 Aug 06

I did do a system restore to about a week before the photos went missing but it did not restore the "My Pictures" folder to the start menu. I tried going further back last night to May '06, the earliest it would go, but "My Pictures" was missing in that too. I was surprised as I thought restore meant that it went back to exactly the same setup. Thanks anyway, Diversion.

GaT7 19:14 23 Aug 06

System Restore (SR) will not recover data, except for certain situations/file types (see lower down).

From the SR FAQs click here (or the 'long' version click here):

"Q. Does System Restore protect personal data files?

A. System Restore does not monitor changes to or recover personal data files such as Word documents, graphics, e-mail, etc."

Also see the answers to these:

Q. What is or is not restored on my computer when I use System Restore?

Q. How is System Restore different from Backup?

The only situation where one can recover certain files with SR:

"Q. Why does System Restore delete some downloaded or saved files during a restore?

A. As System Restore monitors a core set of specified system and application file types, any downloaded or saved file which has an extension type monitored by System Restore (e.g. .exe, .dlls) and stored on a monitored drive will be lost if restoring to a point prior to the download or save. If you do not want to lose files with a monitored extension due to a restore, you should move these files to the My Documents folder or to a non-monitored partition not restored during a restore process. If you have unknowingly deleted some files due to a restore on your system, you can always recover them by undoing the restore process in question."

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…