how do i open an old OST file in Outlook?

angus.mac 07:24 19 Jun 06

transferring files from dying hard drive to new PC - Xp, outlook 2003 with outlook connector. Trying to import outlook files but can't find option to import ost files - just pst. Can anyone advise?

TomG 10:39 19 Jun 06

do you mean pst files?

scotty 10:55 19 Jun 06

click here gives details for manually syncronising offline folders. I would guess that if you just copy the .ost files to the same location on your new drive, Outlook should complete the synchronisation.

Suggest you back-up the .pst files before you try anything.

GroupFC 11:02 19 Jun 06

I really have no idea - but see if this helps
click here

scotty 11:09 19 Jun 06

Search for ost files in Help in Outlook takes you to this page click here

Appears to only talk about .pst files. I wonder if .pst and .ost files are the same or very similar and the software uses the extention name to identify it as an offline file.

angus.mac 22:54 19 Jun 06

interesting link scotty click here - but it doesn't help. i think though that for some reason the contents of my OST on the host was never fully synched - as it should in theory - with my msn account - hence the problem. i should have acted when i realised it earlier. i'll have to sit on the ost file for now and hope i don't need any of its contents

DieSse 23:27 19 Jun 06

Convert ost to pst

click here

click here and try the Recovery for Exchange or Exchange Server

DieSse 23:37 19 Jun 06

This noted in another search - may give you a clue what to do

If you can open the OST file in off-line mode, you can then create a PST and simply copy the contents of the OST over to the PST. The trick here is opening the OST at all, since it is typically tied to a specific profile or Exchange Server account settings. If that account is not available, then you may not be able to open the OST.

and this - there is an (expensive) program called Exchange Recovery 2.0 that says it can work with the new 2003 file formats

komodo 20:18 19 Jan 07

To recover your emails from unusable Outlook 2003 OST file, you can try Convert OST Software from click here

angus.mac 11:10 01 Mar 07

that's v useful thanks

splitarticle 12:52 04 Aug 10

Yes, you can import OST files with outlook using Convert OST to PST tool.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…